You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

#300, 1992 38 footer

Hi All,

First of all thanks to everyone for all the comments about the 95 we looked at over the weekend. Based on your input and feedback, we decided to move on from that one and to continue our search, which brings me to my next topic.  I have run across #300, a 1992 38 footer. She looks real nice in the pics (inside and out). I talked to the current owner today and he gave me the low down on all of the coach systems. For the most part, everything sounds pretty good. There were a few issues that he pointed out and I thought I would put them out there for your thoughts.

1. When he put the coach in storage, he apparently did not shut off the propane tanks, just turned the furnace's down. He is not sure what happened but now the furnaces won't fire. Do you think he burned something out in the furnaces or maybe just need to be reset.
2. Leveling: Claims the airbags work great in travel mode but has an issue with the right front in level mode. He just purchased two new 6-packs but has not installed them yet. Thoughts?
3. When hooked into city water, everything functions as it should. When using the fresh water tank, has a small leak. He told me that he hasn't had time to fix it yet but that he would.
4. During last trip the temp gauge on the dash stated getting erratic. He checked the gauge at the back of the coach and it stayed at a constant 180 degrees. He thinks the gauge needs to be replace or repaired.

I got the sense over the phone that he was trying to tell me everything he knew and was not trying to hide anything.
What do y'all think?

Tony and Cindy Frazier
1992, #300   Wink
2023 Ford Broncos Bad lands Toad
Columbia, SC

a few thoughts.

this 92 has an 8v92 little to no chance the furnaces have a problem. i would guess the autoshutoff valve on the propane tank is holding it back there should be a switch for it on a small box under the couch. turn it on and off again.

if the coach levels ok in travel mode, and doesnt work right in level mode, then could be the six pack, a solenoid, or the controller. most had the hwh leveling system, but my 90 had manual toggle switches.

the temp gauges on the dash for the engine are non linear and extremely not accurate. most of us run vmspc and get it directly off of the ddec. totally accurate then.

i had a 38' 90 and loved it. coaches of that vintage can be short inside if it doesnt have a raised roof. so make sure it is tall enough inside. i assume it had propane furnaces? or does it have a primus?

is it a single rear axle?

tom

just need to trace the water leak. could be alot of different things. usually not a big deal

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Hi Tom,
Thanks so much for your reply. Very, very helpful. It is a single axle.
Its good to hear that you liked your 38' so much. Thanks for the advise on the headroom. That was something I didn't think to talk to the owner about.
All the best and stay safe,
Tony

Tony and Cindy Frazier
1992, #300   Wink
Columbia, SC

Tony one thing you'll find is that no 2 Newells are exactly alike since they were all custom built to the owners specs. I had a 1993 39' so similar to the 38' you're looking at. Similar. Mine had only 1 propane furnace but had multiple electric heaters throughout the coach. Tom made some good points but he's taller than me so I had no problem with the headroom. A Newell will probably still have more headroom than SOB's. Installing a VMSpc is also a great idea since you can then get accurate gauges with no lag time. This 38' could either have typical roof air conditioners or the Dometic basement units like mine. They worked good and were quieter.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Hi Forest, thanks for the reply. The coach has two roof airs. How do I go about getting this VMSpc? Is it something I can install or does it require professional installation. It sounds like it might be something I could use since I will be driving about 2,300 miles after I pick it up on Saturday.
All the best, Tony

Tony and Cindy Frazier
1992, #300   Wink
Columbia, SC

Tony, I believe you can order them directly from Silverleaf at 888 741-0259. They have several connectors but at least in the past, none of them worked on the rectangular connectors Newell and Detroit Diesel used.

They do have one with bare wires to attached to the rear of the connector on the early 1990's Newells. See http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=4715&page=2 for Tom's guide to which wires to tie into on the connector.

Here is another source that is cheaper but I don't know how fast they are shipping. WMSPC with the bare wire pigtail: https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Pigtail-O...mspc20.htm

This one says it is for the Detroit DDEC and it looks like the right general shape: https://www.rvupgradestore.com/VMS-To-DD...c-ddec.htm

Maybe someone on this forum who has purchased one recently will know if that is the actual correct connector that Newell uses for DDEC.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Michael,
If I recall correctly the folks at Silverleaf were great to order from over the phone. I think they sent the correct wiring with plugs attached. Only 4 wires on the DDEC II side.

Roger Engdahl (Foretravel guy) sells them also, I'll pm you his phone number.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

When ordering from Roger Engdahl, you get the hardware with the screen already set up for your engine. So it is plug and play. Lots of work to layout an empty screen

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

Awesome ! I'll look for the PM with Rogers phone number. Timing may not work out in my favor but I can always install it when I get home. Thanks to all, Tony

Tony and Cindy Frazier
1992, #300   Wink
Columbia, SC