You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Salon Slide Seal Change (solo)

All,
Disclaimer Alert: For information only not responsible if you decide to attempt this procedure

Well we were getting ready for a trip in the next week or so.  Found a rolled #1 slide seal....(have installed the vac pump mod last year).  New seal in 2017 at Newell. Tried to get the slide back in do the Windex trick to get the seal re-seated in the track.  The seal was folded and twisted which caught under the stainless steel slide plate thus cutting the seal....dang it.  No time to do a run to Miami or get on the schedule with Chris so DIY made a lot of sense. 

Read the post, thoroughly, of you all changing your own slide seals.  Plan "B" was to build a wood slide lift table but first tried using my hydraulic lift table(s)....rated at 1,000# ea.  Built up some cribbing (lots of screws) on top of the table making sure it would not shift in any way.  Did several trial lifts adjusting the cribbing as I went.  One table could lift the whole slide so I felt pretty confident that two would be a safe bet.

Working solo, I methodically removed all the interior pieces as required then moved on to the outside stuff.  My slide actuators are attached on the passenger side.  (I made some V blocks to keep the threaded portion in alignment with the mount) working solo this would have been impossible with out help. 

So moving the slide out of position I could not manually push it out.  I used a Hi-Lift Jack on the inside to inch it out slowly checking everything as it progressed.  Note: took one of the phenolic blocks and shims off to get a flat solid purchase for the jack base....a 2x6 on the other end for the jack tongue.  With the slide clear of the coach and fully supported by the hydraulic tables removing the old seal and moving the pre-positioned new seal into place was straight forward work. 

Once finished with the seal I was prepared to call all the neighbors, but first thought I'd give it a try myself.  The slide moved so easy I just kept going.  The actuator ends fell into their respective mounts due to the V-blocks....selfie hi 5s were in order on this one!

Will finish up tomorrow with the interior stuff.

In a pinch, a salon seal change can be done solo with the right tools and safety adherence.

The takeaway for you all....if you don;t have a hydraulic table get one they a real handy!  Something I did not do but will figure out a method to install a safety device in the event the hydraulics give way.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Or come to my place.

Nicely done

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I am guessing you don't want to have to repeat this anytime soon :-) So what did you use to hopefully keep the seal in the track?
What is the Windex trick?

Good job! I think with the hydraulic tables I could pull this off too.
Thanks for posting!

Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Russ,
You're right about that....don't want to do this very often.  Actually it was not that bad since I already had the couch out for the floor remodel.  I think the biggest challenge is cleaning the track from the previous seal change.  Newell used an amber colored adhesive in 2017.  With the seal, they sent an adhesive, E6000.  This adhesive is a clear product that sets up pretty quick.....so I would apply a bead about a foot long then set the seal and move on to the next section.    

Somewhere I read that one can deflate the seal retract the slide about half way then lift the room and spray Windex on the seal and work the seal back into the track.  Richard had successfully done this during their trip this past year.

My seal had rolled out and folded so that when I retracted the slide it got caught under the stainless steel runner, thus cutting the seal.  

A set of hydraulic tables would be the same money as fuel to go someplace plus now you have the scheduling freedom.

Steve & Doris Denton
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

i figured the same. by the time i built my slide cart and bought the slide it was cheaper than driving to newell and having them do it. and i have a cart for anyone else to come use if needed. we will be doing a front salon slide on a gurus coach at my place sometime soon.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom,
I had a plan "B" in the works in the event the hydraulic tables did not work. I had built up the cribbing in such a way that if it did not work I was going to build a wood cart along the way of your design.

If we lived closer I would love to lend a hand and learn some tricks to streamline the process.

Steve & Doris Denton
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Concerning the E6000 adhesive.  Being in the aviation, world we used some pretty exotic adhesives throughout my career some really good and some not so good.   I have never heard of nor used E6000.  Since the E6000 has setup I really think this adhesive is some good stuff.  Doing some further investigation into it's properties came across this video......
https://youtu.be/xEbhfVsp8OE
If it sticks to wax paper like this guy shows....that's pretty good stuff.

Given it's elasticity I am thinking this stuff might be able to repair a cut slide seal.....perhaps even apply a patch.  Going to practice on my old seal to check it out.

Steve & Doris Denton
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL