You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Slide Lock Leaking Repair

Adrian
Can you see a part number on one of your locks?  My lock P/N is AP12875 and considered obsolete.   Looking at the attached manual excerpt you may be able to identify what you have.  The updated P/Ns look like the switching changed.   Going out on a limb here and due to manufacturing commonality I would say the hydraulics are the same but you would have to verify.
.pdf Slide Locks.pdf Size: 17.31 KB  Downloads: 15

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

All,
Went after the salon slide's front slide pin lock this morning, last one of the four.  BTW it was not leaking....yet!  I was able to take it apart without disturbing the internal loaded U-seal.  Found out why my bedroom slide lock seal blew out without warning.  Looking at the pictures inside the slide lock pin housing one can see a slight bulge of the seal.  That bulge is the o-ring portion of the loaded U-seal.  It's an o ring placed inside the U-seal to give it extra seal capabilities.  The U portion is facing the pressure side of the system pressure got between the o-ring and U-seal bulging the unsupported o-ring between the two ends of the snap ring.  Assembled there is about a 1/4" gap between the ends of the snap ring.  Along with that and an old o-ring which felt softer than new ones is the set up for a leak.

Steve & Doris Denton
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Steve, thank you for documenting all of this with pictures! I’ll check on my slides today and see what the numbers are. Our coaches are about 50 coaches apart but that is like 100 years in Newell-years! Lol

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Thanks Adrian! I'd be interested to know what yours turns out to be.

Steve & Doris Denton
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

I can't thank you enough for this information. Great thread!

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Thank you Steve.

Had a bit of red drip on the bedroom ceiling. Bride asks “what is that?”

Needless to say this post was golden. McMaster had the o rings and seals to me in two days.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks Richard, Just noticed the date of your post....05-04-2023. You guys are on your trip when you tackled this....you're da man!

Steve & Doris Denton
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Just now (finally) getting back to this. Had the slide pin mechanism in the front salon slide re-welded this week after it had bent from years of use. This was not something I would want to have to do without the slide room being torn apart (still)… When I went to rehang the HWH slide pin hydraulic mechanism (doohickey?) I pulled the hydraulic hoses to stretch them to the location where the bracket was but they are about 2 inches short… not sure how tight these lines are supposed to be. Is there a 2” extension piece of some type that I could use to make up the distance that would take all the hydraulic pressure exerted on these lines? I think they shrunk in the last 2 years sitting in the shop… :-(

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Yeah, take the lock to NAPA or a Parker store. They will make a connection hose to match the fittings of any length you need.

It might be cheaper to cobble together the 37 JIC fittings with a short piece of pipe to bridge the gap.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I heard somewhere that HWH said to discontinue use of the locking pins you might think I'm crazy but I heard it somewhere be it true or not. My rear locking pins have never worked.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas