You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Signs of a bad turbo

Gordon,

Thanks for posting. Far worse than my situation.

Do you have any clue about the cause?

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bill, glad you were able to safely get it changed out. Question: do the new turbo blades look like the old one? IOW do the blades have the same split you mentioned above? Also looking at your picture again the center nut appears to have some damage.
Just trying to think this through, as I mentioned above the mechanic who changed mine listened to the sound of the turbo and determined it was bad. My hearing is not great and I couldn't detect any difference in sound but from other symptoms was sure my turbo was going out. My blades were good but the bearings were going bad.
Were you able to find the pieces and remove them?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Forest,

Gordon’s got a Detroit so his turbo will be different than mine. I think my “split” blades are the way it came from factory. I did not end up having a bad turbo...it was the hydraulic fan running at full speed making the noise.

From what I can tell from Gordon’s picture, it looks like he has a more tradition style turbo.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Oops, I misread Gordon's post thinking it was you Bill.
Still scary to see those pieces in the housing.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

The cause is not known to me!  I suspect something had worked on the ends of the blades.  Discovered while changing air filter, from PO’s poor care maybe.
[attachment=8520]

Whatever the cause, I’m lucky to have been able to fix it roadside.   I suspect a blade broke to start with then the rest is history.  I do use the jake brake down shifting through the gears but don’t get nuts downshifting with high rpms.  Usually target 1500 rpm before downshifting to the next lower.  Stopping preceded the breakage, whether they are related is an unknown.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

I should have stated the discovery of the blade ends was four years ago.  No previous signs of anything wrong after using it with the damage that long.  It probably was the eventual demise of the compressor section.  Interesting the turbine was still spinning and no oil leaking, darn compressor shaft broke at the large end of the wheel. Edith heard it and said “something just broke”.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567