You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Newell Classic engine removal

I thinking you have a blown head gaske
Maybe 2 cyc next to each other ?
Yes xt
If you can keep water in ,drive it to shop

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

John, Sorry to hear about the problems you are having....I talked to one shop who cant get me in until summer. I talked to another that is waiting to hear from his 70 year old part timer who loves 2 strokes to see if he will do the work. That is one of the reasons i am thinking about a repower...these 2 strokes are hard to get serviced knowledgeably . The shops are all about 90 miles away as I live in a resort area and our local diesel shop closed because the owner retired. I defiantly don't want to end up in a repower nightmare. Thought about buying a salvage rv or freightliner m2 and pulling the whole kit including ecu and dash etc but do need a shop to do the work. We will see how it shakes out....I could buy the used 6v92ta thats from a municipal bus I located for 2k with 25k miles since a rebuild and roll the dice...
I am going to try and get a wrench on the crank when it warms up and see if it will turn over....

82 Newell Classic
Beetle TDI Toad

If you can get the coach running and drive to a shop would be good . Even if just long enough to back out and make easier to tow/load . That said , coolant in the oil is not good for main/rod bearings . As Richard said , the coolant will settle to the bottom , will drain off first .
Bus Grease Monkey is good with DD two strokes , but he's in Tn. now . You might contact him for advice on how to get the engine started and how best to proceed . He has videos on You Tube and a website .  My instinct is get the heads and air box inspection covers off the engine , see what you've got . If it can be rebuilt properly you will know what you have vs "crap shoot " of used power plant . As a friend always tells me "fix what needs fixing the best you can , don't try to reinvent the wheel".
Good Luck .

Great looking coach!

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

I emailed him Thanks for the help! I am leaning towards a complete reman at this point and trying to get a six speed allision in there

82 Newell Classic
Beetle TDI Toad

Based on past experiences, my vote would be -
- hire a Landoll to move coach to chosen repair shop
- install the used engine that is a direct swap
- Once you are back to using the coach, research options for repower and total scope of everything involved

-- this will likely be the least amount of cash out of pocket in the long run.

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

After thinking about the 6 speed Allison. I was thinking you mentioned your 5 speed transmission had a transmission retarder? If that is correct, those were quite expensive and very effective. You would loose that extra braking power, I believe you would not have any engine braking with the Allison 6 speed. You would have to look at a Jake brake, which I don’t think they were as effective on the 2stroke diesel.

If a transmission retarder is what you have, you may consider keeping the transmission and possibly changing your rear differential gear, instead for a higher cruising speed if that is what you are looking for.

Johnny
Former   1987 Newell series 60
Former 1986 Newell -92-
Wichita,Ks

Jonny, That is my first choice I would like to keep the retarder. I am adding a jake, as a local guy here has a bunch of them. Does anyonr know what the classics were geared with for a ratio w a 6v92? Anyone know of a source for gearsets?
Thanks
Steve

82 Newell Classic
Beetle TDI Toad

If you're considering the salvage engine you should at least get an oil analysis. Another option that may be available is having a mobile mechanic r&r the engine right at your lot. Your forklift would make that a pretty simple task.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

A swap to an inline 6 is a big deal, involving rad relocation, replacing or blending wiring harness etc. As others have said the eco/.ecu and related wiring would be a killer for me. I have done many Diesel engine swaps and have never been able to get the wiring myself, so be sure to have this figured out before starting project.

I would install jakes and valve covers on the used engine from junkyard and go. I did this with our MC8, swapping in a 6V92 for 8V71. That was 4 yr ago and still humming along.

You have a 40 yr old classic vehicle. How much are you going to drive 75 mph??

Mark and Marian

1986 #125   (left us for a new home in Oregon)
1999 Wanderlodge LX40
1979 Mc 8 6V92
Pace 28' stacker

Regina Beach SK  Maricopa AZ
Photo 

so I found a rebuilt DDC 6v92T Silver that was never installed from a bus company for 1500 dollars, Am I correct that I can move my Rack and aftercooler over to it to make it mechanical?

pics are here

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

82 Newell Classic
Beetle TDI Toad