You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Newell Classic engine removal

Mark, most of my driving is at 75 once i get to southern new England and south....bus handles it fine just want to keep the engine in the sweet spot...going to work on regearing once i find someone to r and r the 6v92TA with another like unit

82 Newell Classic
Beetle TDI Toad

dipstick took all of the coolant i added the other day...having trouble finding a way to air up the suspension and brakes....cant get under its too low to get to the tanks so thinking of tapping in to the air system back where the compressor is in the engine bay with a permanent Schrader valve. here is what I am looking at

82 Newell Classic
Beetle TDI Toad

Our '86 has an electric compressor forward of left front wheel . In the curbside engine compartment there is a quick connect fitting to access the system , it's near the valves for the suspension . Great price for that engine !

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

pics

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

82 Newell Classic
Beetle TDI Toad

As for the ddec I think there were some subtle differences. Camshafts maybe. A ddec1 would be closer than a 2 I would think.
Dont a lot of older boats use the 6V92? Maybe a boat place might want the job.

We pulled the engine from the MCI in under 6 hr. Took trans and all. Hardest part was removing the bumper. I like the 6V92. Sweet sound. If you could figure an AAAC and slight oversize injectors you could be in the 375 HP range.

This was our plan but hasn't happened yet. Good luck

Mark and Marian

1986 #125   (left us for a new home in Oregon)
1999 Wanderlodge LX40
1979 Mc 8 6V92
Pace 28' stacker

Regina Beach SK  Maricopa AZ

In my '82 the quick connect for the air system is in the right rear engine compartment.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Clark, the picture with the hose reel is the right rear....looked for a quite a while and did not locate one. Going to try and get that compressor fired up...po never gave any instruction on coach nuances so going a bit blind with figuring out quirks

82 Newell Classic
Beetle TDI Toad

Steve wrote, "so I found a rebuilt DDC 6v92T Silver that was never installed from a bus company for 1500 dollars, Am I correct that I can move my Rack and aftercooler over to it to make it mechanical?"

I personally would get an ECM for the 6V92. Not familiar with the Detroit Diesel site, but for my Cummins, all I had to do was search by serial number to pull up all the factory specs for the engine, including parts build, ECM, and ECM programming.

My donor bus was rated for 280hp, could have been upped to 370hp based on engine parts, just by reprogramming the ECM. I bought the tool for reading the ECM and discovered that actual miles were substantially more than the odometer indicated. I had it rebuilt with the parts for 370 + hp. Found a motorhome for sale on the Internet that had a 450hp Cummins ISM with the engine serial number listed, and used it to purchase the parts for the rebuild and reprogram the ECM.

The donor coach had two gauges, air pressure with separate dials for front and rear axle, and a speedometer. My plan is to build a digital dash, like several users here are using SilverLeaf solutions, but they only work with Allison transmissions. I have a ZF so had to look elsewhere. I found BlueFire, works with anything with a J1939 interface, using Android, Apple, or Windows 10.
BlueFire for motorhomes This would allow you to monitor your engine electronically and get rid of your manual gauges. If you do decide to get a 6 speed Allison, you would be able to monitor it also.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Just a thought. The hose reel is not all that common. But it is most likely connected to the port the rest of the gang is talking about.

Just for kicks, remove the air chuck on the hose reel and plumb it up to an air compressor. You may get lucky and it will air up that way.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )
Photo 

A little more information on BlueFire, $190 on their website or Amazon. It comes with sample dash layouts that can be modified and saved. This is a picture of the one I have selected for my drive back from Missouri. Not all of them will work, but I plan on adding CANbus J1939 compatible sending units and BCMs necessary. Eventually installing a smart steering wheel with buttons and levers for cruise, wipers, radio, BlueTooth phone, etc.

[Image: normal_bluefire_dash.jpg]

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad