You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Newell Classic engine removal

John, I grabbed the motor yesterday. My concern with using it is getting the wiring to work with the coach side. I have a silver MUI motor in the coach now w Allison five speed. I also do not believe the DDEC motor has the aftercooler on it. One concerning bit is the oil system is on the opposite side of the motor from mine(new motor its curb side). hopefully this is not problematic w motor mounts. The new motor is also  missing the data plates. never know the old motor may get an out of frame if the marrying of the 2 doesn't work....
I have some mechanical ability but the electrical side is all new to me so its all going to be a work in progress.....
plan is if the mechanic commits to the job

pull motor and tranny w service truck where she is

Marry the rack, governor injectors (rebuilt) and blower/aftercooler (rebuilt both) 
Rebuild starter and alternator, new gauges(Suggestions?), pyrometer, alarmostat at 200 degrees, Re-core radiator w extra capacity, Water sprayer for radiator?

taller rear gear if possible , rebuild drive shaft / ck tranny and service while out

Clean up engine bay, re insulate (Dynamat?) clean up wiring and air plumbing

Anyone w a classic added a second radiator?given tranny cooler its own?

82 Newell Classic
Beetle TDI Toad

Just had cradle out of 1982 #1016 with 6v92/Allison 4spd with retarder...

As mentioned they get scale and slag built up, that locks cradle in frame.
I may consider bidding on straight swap without mods if time frame meshes between us.
Would also require seeing motor run, or a written statement of guarantee.
Wiring issues were severe and many on the 82 we are now finishing up...
Send me an email if you want to discuss project.
40+ years engine tech, mechanic, welder, fabricator. Hundreds of complete rewire jobs with references as well.
Including #1016

Sincerely,
JM

This will help...
Sorry

[email protected]

Just had cradle out of 1982 #1016 with 6v92/Allison 4spd with retarder...

As mentioned they get scale and slag built up, that locks cradle in frame.
I may consider bidding on straight swap without mods if time frame meshes between us.
Would also require seeing motor run, or a written statement of guarantee.
Wiring issues were severe and many on the 82 we are now finishing up...
Send me an email if you want to discuss project.
40+ years engine tech, mechanic, welder, fabricator. Hundreds of complete rewire jobs with references as well.
Including #1016

Sincerely,
JM

JM Email is sent

82 Newell Classic
Beetle TDI Toad

so bus is with a guy local to me who loves working on 2 strokes...he also mentioned the possibility of converting the rear end to a 2 speed to get my cruise speed up on the highway..so psyched.

82 Newell Classic
Beetle TDI Toad

So more surprises when the disassembly happened....radiators shot...tank is really bad core plugged. Bigger surprise is the tranny input shaft is scored hard and case is cracked. Now comes dwcision time. The Tranny is not rated for 350 hp only 300 and Allison 654CR Trannys are unicorns for this application as well as not supported by Allison. Is there a six speed option out there for a 6v92ta? I will hate to lose the retarder also. My Mechanic says a 8.9 or 8.3 Cummins swap is not that big of a deal for him if we get the ecm out of a wrecked motorhome and go w a six speed allison. Any thoughts most helpful community?

82 Newell Classic
Beetle TDI Toad

My personal opinion for sure is to upgrade to the Cummins 8.3L with the Allison. Sounds like not much more money. Better mileage, 2 overdrive transmission, easier to find local shops to work on. Your in this deep and love the coach. Upgrade I say you will never regret it

Johnny
Former   1987 Newell series 60
Former 1986 Newell -92-
Wichita,Ks

from my research i found the 3060 Allison will work with the 6v92 and can be had with a retarder?

82 Newell Classic
Beetle TDI Toad

We looked into the Detroit series 50 from a transit bus. Drove 600 miles to Kimberley B.C. to get engine and trans. It was inside a shed when we got there but had at sometime been out in the monsoons. Had some water in it but the balance shafts were also wore completely out from lack of maintenance so we went home The 8.3/8.9 is a great option
n and should be available as a 'clip' where the frame is cut at the drop behind wheels. You would get the rads, trans and ecm with that as well as a serial/v.i.n to help with parts search. The newer ones were supposed to be over 350 hp but some diff work required to get the speed/rpm ratio right. Maybe even a complete wreck and swap rear axle too. You would have a great unit when finished. Good luck.

Mark and Marian

1986 #125   (left us for a new home in Oregon)
1999 Wanderlodge LX40
1979 Mc 8 6V92
Pace 28' stacker

Regina Beach SK  Maricopa AZ

I wouldn't worry about getting an ECU from a motorhome, the Cummins Inline hardware and Insite software will allow you to change the programming in the ECU for less money than an ECU, and allow you to fine-tune it once on the road. Cummins engines are limited to horsepower based on the engine hardware. Go to the Cummins website and create a user ID. By entering your engine serial number you'll be able to see the hardware configuration along with a lot of other useful information. I'm not familiar with the smaller Cummins, but my 10.8L ISM has 2 hardware configurations, up to 370hp and 370hp up to 500hp.

If I ever do another swap, I'll try to find a wrecked motorhome with the driveline configuration I want and start from there. if you're curious what you can do with the Cummins tuner, check out http://rawze.com/forums/

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad