You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Greetings!

Hello Everyone.

I am a long time RV'er (see www.thewanderman.com) Who has had many RV's over the years. I love to tinker!

I am in the market for a NON SLIDE coach with a Series 60. Would prefer a coach with propane as well as electric.  Also prefer a table and chairs rather than a dinette, though that's not a deal breaker. Mid 90's is fine.

I KNOW the right coach is out there!

Please feel free to message me if you have or know of something like what i am looking for.

Immediate buyer for the right coach!

Many thanks to all!

Rick

Welcome Rick. Sounds like you should fit right in with this crowd.

Starting with #363, most of the remaining Newells built as 1994 models had the Series 60. I am not sure about #364 and I know #366 had the 8V92. Most Newell in 1995 were Series 60 however, #372 and 374 had the 8V92. As far as I know, all the 1996's were Series 60's. All of those were NON-SLIDE coaches, except #436, the only 1996 slide Newell. A few non-slide 1997 models were built but over 50% had 1 or 2 slides. Non slide Newells are VERY rare after 1997 although a couple were built.

Table and chairs are rare during that time frame but it is possible to convert some of the dinettes to table and chairs. Propane is going to be fairly rare although there are a few 1994/1995's that have the Series 60 and propane. Newell started offering AquaHot prior to the introduction of the Series 60 so there were not many Series 60 Newells that had propane. #377, a 1995, had the Series 60 and propane although I haven't seen it advertised for sale since 2018. #379, also a 1995 appeared to have the Series 60 and had propane. It was advertised last October by Pops RVs although I don't see it listed currently. #383, another 1995, also had the Series 60 and propane. After that, I am unaware of any propane equipped Newells.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

That is the most useful post I have read! Thank you!

As for propane, I was mainly interested in that for a 2 way fridge (not a deal breaker) and for a cooktop. I am just trying to avoid an "all electric" coach since even with the massive solar installation I  am planning (like I did for my tiny rig) it will be tough to cook for long periods on stored power alone.

Excellent idea regarding the dinette to table/chair conversion. I believe I could tackle that unless there is something mechanical "hidden" under the dinette seats...even then...

To give you an idea, I was looking for a needle in a haystack with my Aero Cruiser 309 built 1/3rd with the floorplan I wanted and of those, 1/2 had the non-wood chassis with the even width front and rear tracks and at least a driver's side door. I found one. Flew out the next day, paid cash and drove from 3 hrs north of San Franscisco to New York, essentially nonstop.

I'm ready for my next RV adventure!

Another question, I like the fore/aft oriented bed....is that common to 95-96? When did Newell switch to left/right? And the Dash, when did it switch to the rounded oval shape rather than the angular trapezoid? I like the older one better. Hey, I LIKED the 80's!

Rick
www.thewanderman.com

my coach had a dinette, then it was taken out before i got it and a desk put in. i took the desk out and put a newell dining table in (thanks chuck) and i use chairs instead of a dinette bench. i have the dinette if anyone needs one (the benches). with benches, there would not be enough room for me to sit. darlene and i made covers out of plywood and covered them with vinyl that closely matches the leather where thee were mounting holes from the old desk. it all works and looks fine.

as for rounded vs older style dash, michael will chime in but they started in the 97 98 time frame.

you are going to be really hard pressed to find a propane on a coach in the years you are looking at. a few exist, but not many

as for cooking for long periods of time (whatever that means), on an electric coach just run the genny.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom,
I have been pouring over new and old ads for Newells and stumbled across this ad.

https://www.recreationalvehiclemarket.co...94237.html

Sadly the company is out of business and there is no sale date nor coach number in the ad. It has a single photo of the interior and i like the layout. Can't see if it's a rear or split bath (which I prefer!) but there you go. As for propane for cooking and/or fridge...it's easy enough to add a 20lb (or larger) tank and plumb in a single appliance. So I'm good with that. I do like the diesel fire heat/hot water.

I've often wondered why all the Newell coaches I've seen have 2 burner stovetops??? I can easily use a convection microwave, in lieu of an oven, but I need more burners for cooking. Yes, I really like to cook!

I should also mention I am not locked into a particular length.

The search continues.

And again, thank you for your valuable information!

Rick

The beds were N/S (fore/aft) in virtually all the 8V92's. The E/W (left/right) beds are in most of the Series 60's. There were a few rear lounge units built each year during the early to mid 90's that had couches on the rear and both side walls in lieu of a 'regular' bed. Some of those have been converted to E/W beds. In 1995, there was a mixture of rectangular beds and the keyhole shaped beds. By 1996 most were the E/W keyhole shaped beds, although #405, 407, and 427 had a N/S rectangular bed. The curved dash came in late in the 1996 model year.

In the early to mid 90's propane equipped Newells carried a 67 gal propane tank about 54 gallons usable and most had RV refrigerators. During 1993 and 1994 some Newells were built with propane and a residential 120 volt side by side refrigerator.

The one you reference is #410, center bath, walk in rear closet. E/W keyhole shaped bed. That coach is unusual in that it has a tub/shower and a desk has replaced the dinette. Other than #423 and 435, 1996's, which has a rear bath and a half bath, you won't find rear baths in many non-slide Newells.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Michael,
Excellent information. I understand the customized nature of these coaches, but it seems my search (based upon my base criteria) will be for something in the 95 model year.

Again, I am not locked into a coach with propane already equipped. If need be, I will install a cooktop and associate plumbing and tank.

My search continues! The hunt is on!

Rick

One more tidbit to add to your unicorn hunt. If the coach is equipped with Dometic AC, there will be a internal air handler under the aft dinette bench. It’s a non starter to move it. If the unit is equipped with SCS basement units, you could remove the dinette entirely.

You haven’t mentioned details about your intended use other than extended periods off grid. If that includes off road, then you may want to seriously look at the ground clearance issue. Essentially Newells have NONE.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Welcome. A couple points to consider about propane. Since you're considering adding solar can I assume you might also change the batteries to LiFePO4? You might want to consider an induction cooktop rather than propane. Look at how much battery power they would use while cooking.
A lot of Foretravel guys have replaced their propane/electric fridges with household ones. The consensus is that regardless of size they will use about the same energy, around 120 amphours of battery in 24 hours. Another thing is they added a smaller inverter just to power the new fridge. It uses less power and is always on.
And like Tom said just use the generator for large power usage like the convection oven and possibly stovetop.
Valento, a former Newell and now a Foretravel guy installed a large solar system + LiFePO4 battery system on his coach and I think also has induction cooktop and household fridge. Hopefully he'll pop in for his thoughts.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I am really digging this community. It's refreshing to hear from so many folks with so much useful information.

Off grid tome does not mean off-road. While I may travel the odd packed dirt road in the west, I am not considering going anyplace that would require real ground clearance. I have my AeroCruiser for that. Mainly it's to stay out of campgrounds. While there are some I like, the majority of my travel is ad hoc, so planning is tough. For the Newell, I am mostly interested in in long distance highway travel, with excursions here and there.

Without a doubt I would prefer the SCS basement units! Now, more than ever so I can (If I have to) remove a dinette.

As for SOLAR and Lithium batteries...I have extensively designed, built and tested solar charging systems and yes, you CAN run most everything given enough battery storage, I still prefer to cook on an open flame. The less generator usage I can get away with, the better. Though I am NOT afraid to use it Smile

A residential fridge, modified with a danfoss compressor is an excellent solution for long term/relatively low power consumption. And a pretty easy retrofit.

Rick
The, Hopefully soon, Newell Owner