You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Detroit Series 60

Late to the party, as usual. I’ll add some info here. The connector Richard posted is an old OBD engine diagnostics plug called ALDL. OBD Diagnostics Inc does produce a ready made cable to adapt between ALDL and the J1708 SIX Pin round.  My experience ordering direct from them was quick, painless, and the cable works great. I coupled it with a six pin BlueFire which works fantastic for me.  My 1996 s60 doesn’t monitor anything beyond what that six pin can pass, but I can’t speak for everyone on that.  The part number for the cable is ALDLto6Madap and a google search should bring it up. I’d post a link but I don’t know how and can’t remember if it’s ok here. 

In my quest to figure out what that connector is called, I found a few references to VmsPc previously offering a direct ALDL cable for their interface. It might be worth a phone call to them if you’re considering their product.  I know wiring diagrams resemble cuneiform to some folks and this will give them some options.  

The analog gauges do remind me of a quote from Geoffrey Rush of Pirates of the Caribbean. “The Code is more like Guidelines than what you’d call actual rules.”

Troy and Kenda, Coach #419 “The First Prize”
Photo 

Troy,

BlueFire 6-pin standalone adapters are no longer available. Instead you can order a 9-pin adapter along with a 6-pin to 9-pin converter cable or connector.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Wow. Good catch there. I didn’t know they’d discontinued the six pin.

Troy and Kenda, Coach #419 “The First Prize”

My Cummins has a standard J1939 9 pin diagnostic port, I did a little research on the Series 60 and 8V92. The DDEC II uses a J1708 the III-IV uses a J1939. DDEC III became available in 1992, not sure when Newell adopted it.

The original standard is recognized by two designators: J1708 – the physical layer (i.e., or wiring), and J1587 – the message layer or data format. ... With J1939, data rates were now up to 250 Kbits/second and more control modules were supported in the network.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86

Jon, thanks for the info. I have a pretty wide gap but #289 and early 1992 had the 8V92 with DDEC II and #337, the next to the last 1993 had the 8V92 with DDEC III. It was 1994 as far as I can tell before the Series 60 was used in a Newell, #363.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Thanks so much guys for your input. I purchased the BlueFire and it works perfect Just as I suspected the gauge must be bad as it indicates 230+ while the BlueFire reading is a comfy 190!

Thanks again guys!!

Grego Rolleyes

1997 Newell 45' Coach #439 Series 60 Detroit Power 6 Speed Allison Automatic

Grego,

Thanks for your feedback. I chose BlueFire over VMSpec because of my ZF transmission, VMSpec only monitors Allisons.

My coach is still sitting in Missouri ready for me to drive it home. Fresh rebuild on the ISM, and the ZF transmission that worked flawlessly prior to the driveline swap. Currently, I've spent over $1,800 on wiring, but the engine and transmission aren't communicating properly. The ISM runs, but the shifter just blinks and won't go into gear. The electrician that wired the two ECUs together has given up. I've checked numerous online forums and the overwhelming consensus is that all that's needed is the two ECUs communicating and no additional hardware. If this is the case, I'm hoping that the BlueFire alerts will point me in the correct direction to resolve the issue.

I have the Cummins Insite Inline hardware/software for the ISM, but not the ZF hardware/software for the transmission. It's about $6k that I hope not to spend. The two communicate using the J1939 industry standard CANbus protocol. Fortunately, it's much more standardized than the CANbus protocols used by automobiles where every manufacturer has its own codes. I've purchased an Arduino CANbus reader, that will capture all CANbus traffic. Hopefully, between the BlueFire adapter that should capture all alerts, and the reader that will capture all the other messages, I'll be able to figure out the issues.

The alternative is $7,500 to have it towed to my driveway. I've got my Range Rover all ready to tow four wheels down, and there's room for a lot of tools. I just hate to make the trip to Missouri without everything necessary to get the coach mobile again...

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86

Hi Chris,
Not withstanding any ECU comms issues you may have, the later ZF AS-tronic will also flash the display if the handbrake is ON. Plus sometimes it must see a sticking slide position sensor as even if the slides are in and the Valid display confirms all is OK it still will not shift into any gear, just blinks, on my P2000i I have a slide override switch under the left control panel that lets you select gears, this switch also lets you move the coach if the slides are deployed. A call to Newell would let you know if they employed non gear selection with the handbrake applied ETC, the P2000i also has a crude hill start feature that will only start to engage the clutch a few moments after you release the footbrake too.

Regards

Ian

#1218 in Europe based in the UK

(02-12-2021, 06:37 AM)Richard Wrote:  Jon,

That is NOT the connector that Newell uses. Perhaps another owner can give us the J number for the Newell supplied connector.

The pic is of the connector, but mine has no identification on it.
I am going through looking for ideas and came across this thread. I think I am going to go with the Bluefire route. I would suspect #490 would have the same J1708 connector. My question is, in the picture you are showing a male connector, is that the connector on the coach, or does the coach have females? 
The reason I ask is because the connector on the Bluefire site appears to be male on the J1708 side:
https://bluefire-llc.com/store/ddec-aldl...-pin-cable

The link takes you here to purchase, make sure you get the 9 pin as others said Bluefire does not use the 6 pin any more:
http://obd2allinone.com/products/ALDLto6Madap.asp

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)