You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Cold weather thoughts

It's gotten down in the single digits, sometimes negative here in Manhattan KS the last 9 days.  Tonight and tomorrow night predicted to be -9 and -15.  So far we've got ten by, but once or twice a day I have to tap the stuck Aquahot backflow valves.  New ones are on order to install when it warms up enough to shut down the Aquahot for a few hours.  If not for the sticking valves I think the Aquahot would keep up.

My fix has been five electric heaters, two in the water bay, one in the main storage bay, one on the front console to help with the cold coming off the windshield, and the built in electric radiator at the foot of the bed.

The five electric heaters while not totally necessary give me some piece of mind should the Aquahot quit working.

No 12V compressor, but the 120V compressor has a frozen line I'm assuming as the pressure relief valve is popping and I can't build air.  It is mounted with the generator in the front.  No biggy I don't need it.

Engine and generator fuel filters were changed in January along with the air system desiccant dryer cartridge.

Worst cold spell here in many years.

Doug and Cathy Musick
Coach 370
1994, 45', non-slide
DD60, Allison 741

I fell your pain. Our 120v compressor has not been able to add air to the supply tank, so we are no longer level. I guess the old classics have no basement heat, as the compartment is totall seald to keep the noise down. All in all not bad for an old coach.

I feel your pain. Our 120v compressor has not been able to add air to the supply tank, so we are no longer level. I guess the old classics have no basement heat, as the compartment is totall seald to keep the noise down. All in all not bad for an old coach.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

I have solved the problem! My coach is in Parker, AZ
Wink 

That is a fantastic solution. You are not far from the world headquarters of Newellgurus.  Smile

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Now that the severe cold weather is behind us I’ll share what I learned. It’s was 8 days of below freezing temps. A couple times the temp popped a little over 32 degrees. The 20k Martin generator uses 7/10ths GPH under full load. We were never near full load when the generator was used. The batteries held up easily for 5 hours and we were comfortable during their use. The AGS was set at 11.8v to kick in but I manually started generator at 12v due to single digit temps. Batteries recharged to float in 4 hours. The aqua hot 675D performed like a champ. It’s fuel consumption is rated at .41 GPH under continuous run. Continuous never happen. It cycled on and off at various intervals. It’s very quiet and hard to hear and I wasn’t going outside to time. I’d estimate it used .1 GPH maybe. In total for the 8 days using all the onboard tools available I used approximately 24 gallons of diesel. Tough to say specifically but I’m pretty close. 

We have 184 gallon holding tanks so life in that arena was good. Happy wife!  When needed I’d hook up water and fill and dump with no issues. Normally when temps were higher. 

This weather caught me by surprise. I was expecting a couple days but it just drug on out. Next time there’s a remote case for weather I’ll top off diesel tank. I had a container of anti gel which I put in the tank as an after thought for some peace of mind. Next time I’ll do that during the top off fill. I suspect the last two fill ups in Oklahoma had the winter mix because there were no issues with the fuel. 

Now I have another RVing story I can stretch the truth on when we’re camping.

Dale
2013 Newell #1472