You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New to the Newell Galaxy

Maintenance is important, but if you are married, getting the full approval of your partner on the floor plan is most important. A great running coach doesn't sound so great with strange noises and comments about the layout in future years. Smile

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

after having 5 coaches including 3 newells i will give a slightly different answer.

1. dont buy anything that you are not willing to fix or understand enough to fix. if you look at something and think to yourself that there is no way i could ever figure that out, then you better have a thick wallet.

2. records are optimum, but i dont shy away from ones that dont have them if i can get a "feel" for things. you can tell by looking a coach over if it was loved and or cared for. on the older coaches (early 2000's and back) most owners dont go back to newell for service. i have been there for service just a couple of times and it was not for major things. for instance, i change my own slide seals. and if the owner can walk you all over and tell you everything he did or didnt do, that is a great thing. when i sold my 90 years ago, i sent a zillion pictures and finally the buyer called me (he was living in japan) and said to me to stop trying to talk him out of it and he was sending me a check. btw, the owner after him had it featured in motorhome magazine a couple of years ago.

3. floorplan does matter. unless the deal is amazing and or you just love everything but the rear walk in closet and can live with it, then do what your gut says. we love our bath and a half. that said, the 99 i had was only 42 feet but was laid out very nicely with a single bath and smaller rear closet. for me, ceiling height is something i look for. some of the earlier coaches had shorter ceilings. i like as high as possible. not an issue in the newer ones.

4. drive train does matter. the older classic coaches with the 6v/8v92s could overheat and be damaged. so you have to be cautious on buying one, but not afraid. do oil samples. series 60's are virtually bulletproof. as is the allison trannys. the cats and cummins are great with each having unique quirks you need to research.

5. genny hours. mine ha 8800 and runs fine. enough said

6. you are buying a coach someone else designed for themselves. seldom will every feature and color be exactly what you want. find the bones you like and the rest will fall into place. mr steve taught me a few rules. first, the 5 foot rule. if something bugged me, to stand back 5 feet. if it still bugged me, apply the 10 foot rule.

7. yes, you can change anything. and yes newell can do it for you. but it will be expensive. me and a buddy built my bedroom in my 02. bed, nightstands, trim etc. it looks as nice as a newell build i think. that said, i think it was a little cheaper. look for ways to do little changes yourself or locally.

8. enjoy the search as much as you can. dont let it get you down. there is always another coach.

as one of my dear gurus who passed years ago used to say.....thats my two cents worth and i am stickin to it.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH