You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Just ordered a new Newell - seeking advice!

We just placed our order with Newell - coach # 1749.  The build will start this Sept. 2021, and delivery will be March 8, 2022.  Needless to say, we are very excited to become part of the Newell family. 

We've already gotten some great advice from this forum helping us decide to place our order, (special shoutout to Adam #1720), did the factory tour, took a test drive, looked at several of the coaches there in Miami, tremendous input and advice from Josh Snyder and Brian Pitts at the factory . . . and pulled the trigger for a new one!  

Now, over the course of the next 4 months, we need to decide exactly what we want on 1749, and that's the subject of my post.  I'd love any advice on what to include or avoid in the design of the coach.  I'm sure many of you have particular things on your coaches that you love, some things you don't have but wish you did, ideas you'd include in your next coach, etc.  We are watching videos and creating a file of colors, designs, etc., we've got a conference call with Nathan coming up, and we're going back to Miami for 3 days in June to continue the design decisions.  But we don't know what we don't know, so we'd love your input. 

Briefly about us and our use for our new coach, as it definitely affects the design:  Cathie and I are retired and live in our coach and travel the country full-time.  To us, that means 1-4 weeks in a given spot, and then move to the next spot for another 1-4 weeks. (Of course, we know where we're going and for how long, and we have reservations a year in advance).  

So we'd love your suggestions, advice, wish list, options to include, etc.  Thank you very much!! 

Ed

Ed and Cathie Hochuli
Home:  Wherever we're parked today! 
Employment:  "Un . . . !"  
Rig:  Newell  #1750 as of April 26, 2022!! 
       In the meantime - 2018 Newmar London Aire

Congratulations on the new coach!

It seems to me that there are two main categories of choice...

1) What makes a coach more livable for me.....and....
2) What choices will make the coach less valuable when you move up to the latest and greatest....

I have found that my mid entry is great for staying in one place for a long time. I also have a large galley — also good for long stays.

Some coaches have Murphy beds which on paper are an attractive option...but if you ask the sales guys.....they will say that this design is virtually “sale proof”.

From a resale standpoint....Bath and a half designs are much more desirable. I have a mid bath with a single water closet and I really wish I had a rear bath.

Enjoy the process!

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Yes the rear baths IMO are better since you can keep the bathroom warmer than the bedroom. Also consider a sink in the 1/2 bath.
Some of the recent coaches appear to have a Splendide or other brand of individual washer and dryers. Compare size capacity to the stacked Frigidaire models.

Welcome and have fun designing your Newell!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Bath and half.
Stacked washer and dryer.
Bench style dinette seats.
Mid Entry, you won’t understand until you have lived in one.
NO carpet.
Windows that will open to permit ventilation.
Floor plan that permits easy access to mid bath while the slides are in. Unless you don’t plan on you or your bride using the bathroom while traveling. Also floor plan should permit access to dinette and refrigerator while slides are in, so you can eat lunch on travel days without popping out a slide.
Light exterior colors, so much easier to keep cool in sunny climates, and doesn’t show dirt as much as the dark colors.
Lithium house batteries.
Straight entry steps. We have had both, and the curved steps are pretty, but a huge trip hazard.
Gold is popular for fixtures right now, that will go the way of brass and oil rubbed bronze. Chrome is never out of style.
The coolest paint job I ever saw, transitioned from one color pattern to another mid coach. On the other side of the coach, the graphics were the same but the color scheme reversed. Stunning in person.
Light colored awnings are great for cool shade, but they get dirty and stained real fast. Match the awnings to one of the darker accents on the exterior.

My wife really likes the air ride captains chair that I installed instead of the recliner because of the back support. I suggest you find a truck supply place with high end drivers seats, and sit in as many as you can. Some people love the current seat Newell uses, it is not comfortable for me. Now is the time to pick the one that fits your behind.

Just my .02

Welcome to the forum.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Bath and 1/2 for sure.
Consider the basement refrigerator/freezer since you are full timing it. We are refrigerator rich w/ 2 sub-zero refrigerators inside and the basement refrigerator/freezer.
I would like all hardwood/marble floors but my wife likes the carpet. One of us will compromise.
I wish we had a regular cabinet instead of the glass door crystal goblets cabinet over the door.
I agree with Richard's and the other's comments.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

Good points made by all. Regarding seats, my Newell has a Recaro driver seat. I love it.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

We also live fulltime in our coach and we have found SlideMaster Slide outs in all basement storage compartments makes getting to your "stuff" much easier.  Everything Richard says.

Joe & Darlene Roark
2007 Newell #1212
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Congratulations, Ed & Cathie,
We have had our coach for a little over two years now and are first time RV owners.  Tons of research in the many years prior and many thanks to this forum for help and patience with all of my newbie questions.  When we bought, we wanted to pick up our last coach first...we feel it was the right fit for our style of use.  Things we really like: 4" roof extension over the entire coach (I'm 6'6"), mid entry, straight entry steps, rear master bath, mid half bath, with the slides in....the whole coach is usable, two slides.  Wish we had:  Was not a priority when we bought but since Covid19 a stacked washer dryer would be nice to have. 

Again, congrats and wish you all the best!

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

My coach has 2 light colors & one dark color.  I spend 75% of my time keeping the dark color nice compared to the light colors.  Dark colors show more dirt & more blemishes.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

My first Newell was dark brown over medium brown. 2nd was BLACK over light brown. My Foretravel was BLACK over tan. All 3 had the darker colors in the front and were difficult to keep cool especially in the front with the uninsulated windshield area. Although there are some recent options to help with the heat gain. Windshield covers, ceramic tints, etc.
My Foretravel after a recent repaint is very light tan over a slighter darker brown. It's much easier to keep cool and the colors are also easier to keep clean. You really can't see the dirt, dust, or road grime until you get close. Most recent colors of Newells and lots of SOBs have the dark colors on the top portion of the sides in the front then lighter colors along the lower and rear sections. They are beautiful but difficult to keep clean and cool.
I also like fresh air and enjoy our large opening windows. We spend the summers in Colorado and there is nothing like the crisp, cool mountain air flowing throughout the coach.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337