You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Oil Consumption in DD92 Series

Richard,
Your post got my curiosity up. Last oil change 40 quarts 6k ago.... I went and checked my oil level. Still just above the full mark with no toad rust proofing. This I do know from the aircraft engine world....each engine would find its own level and stay there with many hours of operation. But fill it up and in short order you will have blown out the oil down to its own level.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Yeah well to complicate things there are at least two different oil pans for the 60 that I am aware of. My first coach definitely took 40 quarts, and never slobbered.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I use a quart  ~1000 miles as well but I have a 8v92 oh and use Delo 100 as well.

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

Fascinating comment, Richard. So my slobber tube functions as an oil expulsion unit, especially when the unit is overfilled. I'm thinking my DD 6v92t should take 26-28 quarts with an oil and filter change.

Glenn & Laureen Parker
Austin, Texas
1984 Newell 35'  (Coach #58? - not confirmed)
6v92 TA Detroit Diesel, MT654 Allison 5 speed trans
2005 Honda Element toad
2007 Honda S2000 fun car

We use Delo 100 40 weight, as instructed  by Newell Gurus ! We order our oil at Orileys, and usually our order is ready in 2 days. I buy 3 cases at a time, each case being three 1 gallon containers. This gives me enough oil to prime the fresh oil filters, refill the " gentlemans" replacement oil resevoir , fill the crankcase to a bit below the full mark ( sweet spot on this coach) , and usually have an extra gallon to drag around for another 6 months.  We seem to use 1.5 gallons going coast to coast, so I guess we are a tad over a quart every thousand miles. 

I would gladly turn over the oil changes to Speedco or some other oil change company, if I could really trust them to put my Delo 100 40 wt in the engine. I have had the oil changed at local truck shops when I can watch.  The 25,000 dollar penalty for low viscosity oil being run in these old engines is a risk that really scares me.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

I have taken my own oil to Speedco because they do not carry 40wt single grade oil anymore.

The DD two stroke guys refer to the air box drains as " slobber tubes " , used to drain off excess fuel , etc at low rpm . These route into a catch can on the '86. We have checks that close off at about 3 psi so once the rpm rises the air box is sealed . The convoluted metal tubes that come down on either side of the bell housing are from the breathers on the valve covers . The breathers will vent oil overage . I went to larger diameter reinforced hose for the breathers , run into a 5 gallon pail (with lid ) with a couple of K&N filters . Very little oil ends up in the pail , probably overkill but I wanted the engine to breathe freely . 
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

To follow up to my original post, I had the oil changed but the shop over filled it, putting in 7 gallons. I drained one gallon off, which left the oil dip stick showing about half way between low and full. We then drove 1300 miles during which the engine threw out almost no oil. It did use a little more than a quart. So, I've learned not to fill it up when changing or adding oil. My 6v92t takes about 6 1/2 gallons to reach the top mark on the dip stick but 6 gallons is what is really needed so as not to over fill. Thanks Gurus for the tip.

Glenn & Laureen Parker
Austin, Texas
1984 Newell 35'  (Coach #58? - not confirmed)
6v92 TA Detroit Diesel, MT654 Allison 5 speed trans
2005 Honda Element toad
2007 Honda S2000 fun car