You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

2005 valid slide bearings

Here are some pictures of early valid slide bearings.  They did not have a part number visible.

The green plastic thingy holds the ball bearings in correct position while not installed.

Jeep tire for scale.

bill

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bill so the green cap ones are the early style and not the grey?

home: Southern California
05 #746 quad slide 2000i, 
Steerable tag 
Detroit Diesel series 60 515 hp
Allison trans

Toad 2013 Avalanche Black Diamond edition 4 wheel drive

If you decide to go the zerk route, you may want to think about adding a length of tubing to place the zerk fitting in an easily accessible place. This is done frequently in industrial situations.
Here is one, there are many.

https://locknlube.com/products/grease-fi...4MQAvD_BwE

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard,

Thanks for the idea! Hopefully someone from Newell will see this post and make it standard on the slide bearings.

These things are tough to get too, this type of addition would make it much easier for the day guys to keep things lubricated.

Steerable tag 
Allison trans

The bearings that come from the factory are grey. Replacement bearings are green. So, if you have a green bearing...it has already been replaced (at least once).

Since the tolerances on these guys are super tight...it will be critical to get the right kind of grease. (who knows what that is).

Newell has told me that no grease is required....but I am not so sure.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

So Did I miss the part number ?

I too need to replace some of my slide bearings. As for grease, in my humble opinion, if you can keep the area fairly dust free, Grease would be a good idea. I need to open my slide bearing up, there must be a way to keep the area covered to protect it from dust. Remote grease points are popular on heavy equipment, except it was done with compression fittings and copper tube.

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.
Photo 

Per Travis at Newell

Steerable tag 
Allison trans

Hi Guys,
On the newer bearings P2000I my old broken bearing had Black ends the replacement green ends, both take a grease nipple which installed where the allen key grub screw is fitted which is just a blanking plug.

#1218 in Europe based in the UK