You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air Conditioners 3 and 4 blowing but not cold

if the compressor is not coming on there should be a start capacitor on it. i dont know if you can access it from inside or you have to take the cover off up top.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Just a thought, I had my ac do that before, worked most of the night, then in the morning it wasn’t putting out the cool air. Also noticed it sounded different. I opened it up and it had frozen up.

Johnny
Former   1987 Newell series 60
Former 1986 Newell -92-
Wichita,Ks

Hi, I have #1218 2008 here in the UK, I have breakers for the A/C units in the rear of the bathroom in the cupboard drivers side.
The stat for 3 and 4 is in the bedroom, the stat for 1 and 2 is in the galley.
have you tried to turn them onto heat? then back to cold, IE A/C I have 2 outback inverters and an FX240 that will share/spread the load in between both legs but the "system" will shed any load if it gets near max load.
So you have been on the roof and removed the covers checked the filters ETC ETC and made sure the coil fans are running?
None too sure if there are any glass fuses in the electric bay that protect the coil fans, on my coach these are behind a carpeted wall and house the 120volt and other stuff like the valid slide fuses

#1218 in Europe based in the UK

I had this issue on two of my four roof airs. Each time it was the evaporator fan. Replaced and all is well. Remove the cover & see if the fan is running. If not, that is your problem.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

thank you all for your input. all fans are working properly and i also checked the voltage on the compressor relay. It reads 115 volts but when you hear what sounds like the compressor trying to kick on it drops to 106 or so for a few seconds and then repeats. This leads me to believe it might be the start capacitor for the compressor as Tom stated. I will have to check that next and maybe discharge it and switch it with the #3 unit which is the same and see if that fixes it.

Thanks again for all the input and help.

if the capacitor was gone that is what would happen. as a retired hvac contractor i would want to check the 3 connection's on the compressor to see that they are in good condition. no burnt wires or loose connectors. they will be marked c s r (common,start, run) there should be line voltage between c and r and c and s when the compressor tries to start,the capacitor puts the start windings out of phase with the run winding which is what makes the motor turn, if the cap is open or shorted or weak the motor will not start. lots of meters will check capacitors, if the cap is good, i would try a hard start kit before i would replace the unit i have seen them work for a really long time

John Kosir
712 2004  45-8

Ok after all the investigation and helpful advice I have fixed the AC!

I took apart the #4 ac on top and got into the place where there was a schematic for the wiring. I found the start capacitor and repalced it with the one from the same unit #3. It did not fix the problem but I heard the compressor trying to start and just not continueing. So I replaced the run capacitor with the one from #3 also and that did the trick. The next day I went to an electric heating and Air shop and bought 2 capacitors to match and put #3 back together with one of the new ones and now they are all good, I also now have 1 spare for the future collection also. This all only cost 30 dollars and some time and pain. Just a little.

Much less had I gone in for service at Newell which starts at 150 an hour and with no estimate ever and then just clock up the time and pay at the end. Undoubtedly it would have ended in a few hours inspecting breakers and fuses and maybe cleaning filters and then told to buy a new unit which again im sure as they are telling me about everything almost here that they either cant get it anymore or it will be months out to get and they cant give you any exact times of when. The unit would be about $ 1200 and then im sure 4-6 hours installation which might be $600 to $900 labor.

The $ 30 capacitor and a few hours was a much better route for this one. Thanks again to all who took any time to comment here and try to help.

Much appreciation.

Great job and thank you for the followup on how you fixed it!

Oscar

Oscar & Janet Valent
Full timing
2004 Foretravel U320 3820 PBBS
2007 Newell Coach #815 - Great Coach Sold
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit

way to go and thanks for sharing what you did

thats what the gurus are all about.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH