You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Parking on Asphalt Driveway

Ok, so I know the real answer would be to not do it, BUT I'd really like to be able to park at home the night before a trip and for a few hours after to maybe overnight depending on when we get back.  Put down a new asphalt drive 2 years ago and went with 6" of rock topped with 2" of larger aggregate fiber reinforced and 2" fine aggregate fiber reinforced on top of that.  Only thing I parked halfway heavy on it was a 40' RV I rented last summer and it did leave very slight dimples where it sat.  Only noticeable when it rains where the light hits it just right but nonetheless they are there.  

So my thoughts are:

1.) Sandwich two pieces of 3/4 plywood and maybe to 4'x4' on steer and I'm thinking around 4'x8' on the drive/tag.  Thinking it would spread that weight out a bit more.  

2.) Rip out the asphalt in the areas where the tires will be roughly the same as above and pour concrete there.  Seems like a better option, but also thinking it might not look the best.

3.) Rip out asphalt and lay pavers similar to in size to #2 above.

KICKING myself for not spending the money for concrete when I did it.  I convinced myself I could get away with the asphalt and only be there for a couple hours on each end to load/unload, but that would not be nearly as convenient as overnight.  

Thoughts?

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Hi, Brad,

We have a stereotypical builder's grade driveway, and I did the double thick 3/4" plywood thing. To maximize the two 4'x8' sheets of plywood, my pieces are 24" x 30" and 24" x 66". It's tight on the rears, but it works...just have to position them carefully. I put the rear boards in place, pull the drive axle onto the boards, then place the fronts and pull the remaining wheels up onto everything. Recently, due to a breakdown, I was parked in my driveway for about two weeks, and zero damage. If I had to do it over, again, I'd use outdoor plywood, but that's picking nits. I glued and screwed the pieces together. Here's a picture of us parked on them...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Robert
2002 Prevost Liberty XLII, Series 60
IG: @thisisbobalou

Fantastic! One thing I was also planning on doing if going the plywood route was being in basically the same spot with plywood every time and then if it develops a problem I could revert to my rip out options in the damaged area.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO