You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Check your tires!

Every now and then there is a topic started asking about driving on old tires or someone wanting to know what pressures to run without having any idea of their axle weights.  
No idea of the age of this 18 wheelers tires but just to show how an obviously inexperienced driver can lose control in a front tire blowout.  Tragic results for the other drivers.
https://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/new...9bfa5.html

And as an aside we just drove 1300 miles in the Lexus and I can't understand why anyone would slowly pass an 18 wheeler on a 4-lane.  Get around them as quickly as you can so you don't suffer the same fate as above.
Here's one of the trucks that were hit in the opposite lane, one guy died, 15 calves in the trailer died, other guy miraculously survived.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

To add to Forest's concerns one of my friends, a commercial over the road trucker, told me NEVER follow a truck because things fall off them all the time. A Tesas Highway Patrolman tasked with weights and measures who had stopped us in another life told me that 50% of trucks should be pulled off the highway. I fellow motorcyclist told me he once had a lug nut off a truck wheel lodge between his scalp and helmet. And don't forget all the rocks that hit the front of the coach and break windshields.

Sandy and Bob McBratney
Previous owners of 2007 Newell #1202  "Boomer" 

Lookup " TYRON BAND - TIRE BLOWOUT " on YouTube - That video was from 6 years ago. The RV was passing a trucker whose dash cam captured this video when the RV's front left tire blew out.

Something to think about -- The time from blowout until it was on it's side across the median in opposing traffic was only 6 seconds . . . . .

These commercial truck tires are very different than car tires - running a 14 ply tire underinflated creates lots more heat which can lead to internal damage. They also age differently when they spend more time parked than in regular service.  Then there is how much UV light they are exposed to . . .

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740