You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air Intake Question

Chris, the air compressor intake connects to the same metal tube as you describe.

Dave , thanks for posting photo . Certainly seems that your set up would make air cleaner R&R easier as well as improved access to valving , throttle. More positive compressor intake connection than my hose /screw clamp . 
Also note that your oil filler is on that side whereas #89 is on the other . 
Evolution of the machine .
Thanks , Chris.

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Looks like Newell had all kinds of configurations. Where is he air pump on the engine? I am not finding any connection to the air filter.

Tim K 1986 Classic 40’ #121

My engine air compressor is on the driver side back (toward the bedroom) of the engine just below the alternator.

TIM K,

Your tag at the bottom of your GURU info gives no indication of what powers your classic Newell. If it's a 6 cyl Detroit 92 it will be on the drivers side engine bay between the firewall and engine block, next to the alternator, with lots of room to work on it. If you have an 8 cyl 92, it will be in the same place with almost no room to work. Although no two Newells are the same, the mechanical parts supplied by Detroit Diesel, Allision etc, are predictable.
Good luck

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Yes,  if it's a V 8 there is little room to access air compressor.  Hopefully that isn't necessary,  I rebuilt mine last year,  labor intensive with all the 40 weight clay removal. .. finding air intake shouldn't be difficult. 
Your compressor may have it's own independent air filter , make sure it's breathing clean air .

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Picture of the air compressor on 8v92 . The air intake is the blue silicone hose which routes to the other side of the engine and connects to the metal tube in the plumbing between air filter and turbo . This way the compressor is drawing filtered air .

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand