You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

2006 & Air Leaks

We have just begun looking at a 2006 Newell, so far just on the internet/email.

The salesman I have emailed back and forth with says the coach has "air leaks at the moment" they are dealing with "stubborn slide rooms and the entry door is "acting up". 

Before I invest anymore time/effort in this coach how big of an issue can air leaks be. I have no desire to run new air lines in a coach. If someone might be able to give me an idea of the expense I would certainly appreciate it.

They suggested I hire an Inspector, it is a bit early for that.

My largest concern is I don't know what I don't know.

https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/defaul...id=6649959

Thank You

Newell uses the most pneumatic systems of any coach out there. The systems develop leaks, usually at the push on fittings. Rarely does a line need to be replaced. Any newell owner should develop the skills to find and repair air leaks. If you pay someone else to do it, you will go back broke and be be very unhappy with the results. The slide system and door problems are very likely caused by air system issues. The work is not hard but it does take time, and time at 150 an hour adds up quickly.

Take some time to read the section on Things to Consider when Buying a Used Newell, and many of your questions will have detailed answers.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I would like to point out that Motorhomes of Texas have a good reputation with many gurus on this forum.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

The coach I'm looking at is # 764 and would be on a 2000i.

On a You Tube video I watched on NewellOwner they spoke about some coaches having 10-11 air tanks and the ZF Chassis having 4.

From what information I've given above, is that enough to tell how many tanks the 2006 I'm looking at probably has?

My 2004 with zf suspension has 4

John Kosir
712 2004  45-8

dkritter.
Glad you made it over to this forum. Many of the most expensive repairs on a coach are very DIY friendly. Most, of the common problems are simple repairs if we take things one step at a time. The largest cost is labor. I personally don't mind chasing air leaks, cleaning a/c units, changing fuel filters and minor repairs, with the help of the gurus here who have done those things in advance of me.
Good luck in your search for a coach.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

bob had his 07 here at my place for a while and we chased air leaks on it. didnt find them all, but found alot of them. with it up on jackstands, it was considerably easier to get at things then with my 02. the zf suspension in the back makes the airbags and brake valves more in the open and easier to reach than on my 02. i will admit i was the coach and bob was doing the crawling.

the rear ride height valves are reachable from the edge, there are just the 4 round tanks hanging where with long arms you can reach them.

we replaced fittings, a valve and had lots of fun. even found a slow leak on the regulator for the bode air door.

didnt find them all before he had to leave, but learned alot and had a lot of laughs.

the key is to take your time, break it into chunks, have some simple test gear, use external air source and have cribbing or jackstands. and lots of bubbles. part of the challenge that some of the gurus have is bad hearing. bob had one leak that i could hear when i walked in the shop and he never could hear it. so bubbles and we used my ultrasonic leak detector as well. an acquired art and skill, but still very useful.

fittings are cheap, labor is either free or cost prohibitive.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I spoke with the salesman at MHOT this morning, he was nice enough to send me some detailed photos and at this time we are goin to pass on this particular coach.

Thank You everyone