You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Generator slide leak

We have the same pan under our genny. Since they'd remarked the front was almost in the dirt, I thought they also did not want to extend the genny to see where the leak might be, because they'd be running it into the dirt. Travel height would eliminate that.

06 M450LXi 3 slide

So the net-net is that I can't tell where it's leaking from. You just can't see anything.

Newell did inform me that in some coaches of this era, they actually put in a 2 ft x 2 ft access panel in the rear of the generator bay, where the exhaust goes through the wall. He said to look for nuts welded on the wall inside of the bay while the slide is out. I can't tell for sure because of the insulation covering the wall, but I can't see any bolts or a panel from the backside.

On a side note, I did cap off the lines and manifolds. Got to our next location and the generator had come out a ways. Couldn't push it back in by hand. Hooked it back up to the manifold and started bringing it in, but then heard a crunch. Ugh. Moved to my site to worry about it once I had more time.

The next day, pulled the slide back out and found that the exhaust pipe had come out and was hitting the back wall, preventing the slide from going in. The force of the ram also bent the bracket holding the slide to the end of the ram. While I was poking around under there assessing the damage, someone dressed just like me walked up and introduced himself as Richard. My, what timing that man has.

Short story - he cut off the end of the bent bracket and welded on some steel to hook up to the front of the ram. All between pulling in and heading off to dinner. We also got the generator exhaust bent back into shape.

Concerned that the ram might still creep on me, I pulled the blower fan out today and was able to secure the slide from moving by accessing it through the blower hole with the slide in until we can get the leak addressed.

Paul
Coach #540
2000 Double Slide, Bath and a half, Average sized fan for its age
Fulltiming for a while around CO

It is sort of hidden in Paul’s comments a big watch out for those who have hydraulic generator slide outs.

There is no safety catch on these units. If the ram is leaking, and you disconnect and cap the lines, the fluid will eventually leak out allowing the slide to move. One of those things that once you think about it, you say “of course”, but not so obvious when your main objective is stop the flood every time you put one of the rooms in or out. In Paul’s case it extended far enough for the exhaust pipe to clear it’s corresponding connection to the rest of the exhaust system. That’s out pretty far.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

So the hydraulic slideouts don't have a release like the earlier air operated ones?
Wonder how hard it would be to add a mechanical release?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

My hydraulic slide also has a locking pin identical to the slide room locking pins. There are 4 hydraulic solenoid valves just for the genny slide

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I did not see pins on Paul’s generator slide. That doesn’t mean they aren’t there, i just didn’t see any. If he has them I can’t figure how his gennie slid out like it did.

Maybe Paul can straighten me out on this one.

Sorry for the bad info. ??

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

there is only one pin

tom

Mine has a manual cable release with a black knob you pull then you pull the air valve. The latch is at the back of the rail on the passenger side.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

My hydraulic slide definitely does not have a locking pin. And the solenoid count aligns with that. There are 12 solenoids:

2 for the flat floor
2 for the front slide
2 for the front slide locking pins
2 for the rear slide
2 for the rear slide locking pins
2 for the generator slide

I am now thinking that the fact that the generator slid out is confirmation that my issue is with the ram leaking and not a leaking hose. A leaking hose would only leak on one end of the ram. Capping both ends would still not allow the generator to slide in that case. But a leaking ram, if it allowed fluid to flow between the 2 ends of the ram certainly could.

Newell told me that they will just send the ram to HWH for rebuild rather than rebuild it themselves. I have an appointment at HWH, but I might go to Newell anyways as I have a few other tasks I'd like them to perform anyways.

Paul
Coach #540
2000 Double Slide, Bath and a half, Average sized fan for its age
Fulltiming for a while around CO

i cant imagine that there is something so specific about that ram that any ol hydraulic shop shouldnt be able to rebuild it. and for sure if you got a seal kit for it.

tom