You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Bluefire with Custom cable!

So, I was going to install a typical Silverleaf system, but I really wanted to NOT have so many cables to deal with and I wanted a bit more OS flexibility...like Android. I have quite a few extra Asus Tranformer TF700's to use and they work great.

I ordered a Bluefire from https://bluefire-llc.com/store/j1939j170...id-adapter (if you want APPLE OS compatible you will need -->https://bluefire-llc.com/store/500k-j1939j1708-ios-adapter

Then I had a special cable made up by http://obd2allinone.com/allinone.asp The owner is Ken Siebert and he was EXTREMELY helpful. The cable from goes from the 12-pin ALDL (Daewoo) style connector in our Newells (J1708) to a 9-pin Deutsch that would accept the BlueFire dongle.

The adapter cable was around 40.USD. That was all I needed. The Bluefire Dongle and the cable.

I setup the software and installed the dongle in my front console I removed the dash connector and reinstalled in UNDER the dash pad on the left side and ran the Bluefire dongle through a hold so it sticks out into my console interior. That wasy I can see the lights on it for diagnostics is something ever goes wrong.

Connected it to my Android laptop via bluetooth and Voila! Lots of information to play with at my fingertips. Worked flawlessly on the 2000+ mile trip from Albuquerque to New York.

I am working on custom Dash presentations now...it's very customizable, but worked right out of the box.

I will add some photos when I can

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

interested to see what screens you have come up with. very cool

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks for the writeup on this Rick. You're now also in charge of designing the best dashboard. Have you given any thought to going purely digital dash like Roger did on #588 or are you planning to keep the traditional gauges as well?

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

I'll get a few photos of my current config. I haven't done much past the stock Dash, but I will be modifying the one I have. At least to add a Newell Logo Smile

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

Hey Rick - Any updates over the last year?

I just installed a Bluefire and created this display.  It's a work-in-progress.  It seems not so many channels are on the data bus, and probably not even all of these since I did this dash without the coach nearby.

I doubt it has coolant level, torque, fan speed, and maybe not even fuel level.  I set the temp gauges so that straight up is about normal.

Anyone know what channels are sent on the DD60s?

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry

Looks nice Smile Your coach should have more data than mine, torque and the like is supported as is fuel level. There is a listing of what sensors are available. Some of the gauges rely on calculations like the old MPG gauges

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

@dbld58 I'm having a problem determining when DDEC started using J1939, your coach may only have J1708 even though J1939 was released in 2000. A lot of conflicting data on the internet, What marine engines are found to have J1939 capability? claims that DDEC III and IV have J1939. Newell didn't offer a DD Series 60 until 1994 even though Detroit Diesel started manufacturing them in 1987.

My Cummins uses a CM570 ECM which has J1939, so I'm taking advantage in my Bluefire dash configuration.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

I’m guessing mine has both J1708 and J1939. My Coach has a remote plug on the floor next to the drivers seat. It may only be wired for J1708 and not the J1939 even though it’s available. Now, I just need to figure out how to identify to the correct wires.

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry

@"dbld58", get ahold of BlueFire support. VMSpec only shows the wiring for J1708. If your ECM supports J1939, BlueFire support will point you in the right direction.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad