You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Batteries

Forgive me for not introducing myself at the beginning.  My name is George, and my wife and I are looking to purchase a Newell coach.  I have a fairly extensive mechanical/electrical background, so I’m looking ahead to what mods I may need/want to do, or have done.

Can the battery system, both chassis and coach, be changed to use lithium ion batteries?  And if so, is it something that can be done by the owner?

Thanks in advance.

George

There are at least a dozen or more coaches that have been owner converted to Li Ion. The conversions range from fairly straight forward 12V drop ins, to one elaborate 56V system.

Depending upon the inverter/charger in your coach, you may or may not want to change that to permit the charging profile you desire.

I don’t think you want to use LiOn for your chassis batteries.

The amount of modification and complexity you may encounter depends on the size of the bank you install, whether or not you choose to charge them from the alternator while driving, and whether or not you want to run the AirCon off the batteries.

There are several threads in the electrical section on this topic.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks again Richard.

George

George,

One more thing, your background info on electrical and mechanical was very helpful to the forum in formulating responses.

Could you tell us a bit more about what years/features you are considering? How you intend on using the coach? First RV? And your location?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )