You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Generator overheating?

Thanks for the advice and things to check - I had to bend the lower shroud sealing up the generator so that air could flow out of the back of it better - that helped. The blower motor was squealing like a baby pig so I also added some lithium grease to the bearings on the blower motor and that seemed to help with the overheating that was taking place in the motor - I had replaced the belt on the blower and it was too tight so I also loosened it up some. In retrospect I probably (ok, I DID) go overboard replacing parts but now I know a LOT about generators than I did before I started. I’ve always had them serviced but from now on will definitely do this myself as they are pretty easy animals to tame (for me at least). The genset ran at about 180 with the front A/C on high yesterday afternoon in about 85 degree heat for about 4 hours with no problems.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

I highly recommend replacement of the original blower with the direct drive version as outlined in posts on this very forum.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Adrian,

If the bearing on the blower are / were making noise…you are not long for a new blower. (Ask me how I know this). Mine eventually broke on a trip to Newell so I let them replace with a similar unit. I wish that I had been able to replace with direct drive unit.

Do yourself a favor and look into the direct drive blowers. (No fan belt, quieter, more powerful and will make your coach happy).

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Richard,

Thanks a ton for the tips on the direct drive fan, checking my AC draw and also the shrouding. I have to think based on how quickly my temps came down when it got cooler was a result of either a bad AC, the shrouding or maybe both. We'll find out this weekend when I can get back to work on it.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO