You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

1989 lost power; engine just quit

We have a 1989 coach, 8V92…. Coming back from Indy we just lost power and coasted to the shoulder. Just changed fuel filters last week.
Any thoughts??

Stan & Judi's 1989 Newell

More details will help.

Lost power, engine will not crank or run?
Lost power, engine will idle, but produces too little power for propulsion
Lost power gradually, or very suddenly? Gradually is probably fuel related, all of a sudden is controls system.

Why did you change fuel filters? Routine, had a problem, some other reason?

Is it possible the new filters are sucking air? (Last thing you touched problem solving)

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Routine maintenance changing the filters.
Driving…. Lose power… engine stops. Doesn’t crank or anything. Son-in-law suggested fuel solenoid?

Stan & Judi's 1989 Newell

Richard, is spot on "(Last thing you touched problem solving)".....has worked for me many times. On the other hand, what are the odds that something else is the culprit....been bit with that one! To further your troubleshooting take a look at this thread I posted http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=5756.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Does the coach have a run switch in the electrical compartment where the engine batteries is? Have you tried that? There are a lot of wires that go from the front of the coach to the back and several relays (at least on my coach).

I have experienced a case where the engine just quit while driving. It turned out to be a relay.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

doesn't crank sounds like electrical what is your battery voltage are you getting 12 volts to the starter does the solenoid pull in will the motor crank if you put 12 volts to the solenoid

John Kosir
712 2004  45-8

What Richard said. If you didn't overheat and burn up your engine, it sounds electrical.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

I hate to be a knuckle head, but please be extremely specific if we are to help.

When you say it doesn’t crank?

Does it turn over, but not start?
Or does it not turn over?

The answer to that question leads us down two different paths.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I would look at fuel shut off solenoid on top of governor . The plunger moves out to push the lever to shut down the engine . 

Overheat safety  system will shut engine down , you would have warning light and high temp reading , etc .
Presumably this system could fail , shut things down in non overheating situation .

Is your engine a DDEC ? I don't know when the electronic engine controls started coming in Newells .

Last thing touched always suspect , but seems like you did some miles after filter change ?
Certainly look at filters , never know . 
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

I hope you are up and running. If so, please share what fixed the problem. 

I think your problem is the battery fuse.

Watch this video where Tom McCloud guided an owner through finding the problem.   https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t8GFzDIITh0

the battery fuse is likely attached to the negative battery terminal. It probably looks like a small brass cylinder with a flat tab on each side. You can test it by using a voltmeter and connecting the positive lead to the positive battery terminal. Then touch the negative lead to the negative terminal of the battery. Should be 12v or more. Then connect to the other side of the fuse. If its zero (approximately) volts, the fuse is bad.

again, please let us know what fixed the problem. 
Regards,
Bob

Bob & Dottie
Newell 1261 & Jeep Grand Cherokee fulltimers
Past Teton Reliance 45'  5th wheel
Custom Volvo VNL780 tow vehicle
2014 Smart car