You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Can't stop engine

My 1984 Newell with a DD 6v92 engine will not shut off. I just brought it home after filling it up with fuel and cannot get the engine to stop. I tried the kill switch on the dash and the kill switch in the rear panel but neither works. My wife says the rear kill switch has about 13 v coming in and around 11.8 to 12 going out. 

I have no idea where the fuel pump or equivalent is.

What do I do to stop the engine other than waiting for it to run through 170 gals of fuel?

The engine has been difficult to kill for several months but I could do it by putting it into gear and then hitting either kill switch. My phone number is 512-923-6099 if anyone wants to call.

Glenn Parker

Glenn & Laureen Parker
Austin, Texas
1984 Newell 35'  (Coach #58? - not confirmed)
6v92 TA Detroit Diesel, MT654 Allison 5 speed trans
2005 Honda Element toad
2007 Honda S2000 fun car

Not sure how the kill switch works on your engine but on other diesels it's a solenoid that when powered up allows fuel to the engine. When no power it shuts off the fuel supply. Try pulling one of the wires off of the kill switch so that that solenoid is not powered up.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

i talked to glen. he has it off. but only did it by putting it in gear and stalling it.

i dont know if his has this or not, but some v92's of this vintage had an air operated valve on top of the engine that shuts fuel off to the rack. he is going to look for an air line and see if he has one. if he does, it either is not getting enough air or the valve is gummed up and stuck. according to my mechanic buddy it is easy to take off and clean up if it is gummed up.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

it is either an electric solenoid like forest says or an air powered one.

glenn, look for either one

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Got it stopped after driving down the street about 200 feet. Tom Mc called and gave advice on how to maybe solve the problem long term. Thanks to all.

Glenn

Glenn & Laureen Parker
Austin, Texas
1984 Newell 35'  (Coach #58? - not confirmed)
6v92 TA Detroit Diesel, MT654 Allison 5 speed trans
2005 Honda Element toad
2007 Honda S2000 fun car

Toward the rear of coach, in the V is the governor housing 
On the top There is a lever that shuts off engine 
On the top of the blower...There SHOULD also be a control lever
That shuts off air supply to engine....if that is used you must reset
By hand
It’s very important this works... IF an injector sticks open the engine
Will go wide open... not good

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

Our '86 has an electric over air solenoid mounted on the governor housing . The solenoid has a plunger that pushes against a lever when activated (switch turned off ) . Have not had problem shutting down , but once wouldn't start because the plunger was stuck in shut down position. WD 40 solved issue . Governor is located on passenger side , kind of below pipe from exhaust manifold to turbo. Follow the throttle cable from the Bendix air cylinder , it ends up connected to the throttle lever on the governor . Next door neighbor to the shut down . 
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Glenn,
I had an older Perkins Diesel engine in my sailboat. These engines had mechanical injector pumps and could operate without electricity once running which was great for reliability. The normal way to shut down the engine was to pull the choke lever fully out which closed off the air intake completely. That shut the engine down.
In modern diesels the test for a leak free intake system is to block the air intake. If the engine shuts down it shows a leak free intake. It should not cause any damage. If your worried that the problem might crop up again, make a block that can go over the intake completely and provide an airtight seal. A sheet of plywood shaped to the intake and covered with foam rubber is all that is needed.
Good luck.

2008 Newell #1223 4 slide, Cat C15 with ZF 12 spd, 2004 Chevy Silverado 4x4 Duramax 6.6[Image: thumbnails.php?album=143] Toad for fishing. 

using the airbox shutoff can suck in the blower seals. Don't use it for regular shutdowns, only an emergency.