You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Delete Awnings?

I like Dean’s idea of leaving the channel attached, and sliding out the “key”. That is the very narrow strip of canvas that Zipdee uses to attach the stainless cover to the channel. When you look at the channel on the coach, you will see a few crimps in the channel to keep the key from sliding. The best tool I have used to uncrimp the channel is a very small pair of vise grip pliers. They have just the right nose and strength to grip the crimp and uncrimp. Somewhere on the ZipDee site are instructions for the crimp/uncrimp.

SAVE the awnings to use as a pattern for making the new ones.

Not that you expect to recoup the money you have put into this coach, but in my opinion, no awnings would be a negative to resale.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks Richard and all yoo'se. I would not get rid of the awnings and yes, I would never get 1/3 of what I spent on this if I sold it. More of a personal preference and use. The question is how would I remove the 23' patio awning. That's a monster. I will call around tomorrow to see what it would cost to recover in a smoke color Sunbrella fabric and as a walk in. Neutral enough for almost any future color. I'd rather the paint shop spend more time on the coach than in removing the awnings. My luck in life is that they will still do a mediocre job regardless. At least I set an expectation standard. If it meets or exceeds that, then I will be happy I guess.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

To remove the monster, start with the window awnings for practice.

It will take two people and two 10 ft stepladders to do it safely.

Remove the awning arms from the attachment on the coach. One of them will be spring wound, figure out which one, and be prepared to stand on the ladder and unwind it. I usually have Rhonda hold the awning strap and pull the awning away from the coach so the rotating arm doesn’t hit the coach.

Once the arm is unwound, let the awning hang straight down.

Take the vise grips, and undo the crimps, including the ones under the awning in the middle.

One person stands on a ladder right at the edge of the awning, and starts pulling on the key in line with the channel to slide it out. The second person positions the ladder a couple of feet away and holds the awning once it reaches them. The first person moves the ladder and plays leap frog.

Do this until there is about 2 ft left in the channel. Now you need a person at each end before you pull it out of the channel.

Sounds a lot harder than it is. If it won’t budge, make sure you have uncrimped ALL the crimps.

And besides, you have to do this anyway to paint the coach regardless of your intent to replace.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

And count the number of turns to unwind the arm. Oh yeah, write it down.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I'm not so sure I want to mess with them if unwinding is part of the deal! I have three people that can help me. Me, Myself and I. Neither of us three have the strength we used to. I might let the paint shop deal with it. They say they will remove and install. It's the install part I am scared of. They may not put sealant behind the gutter if they remove it entirely. Either that or they will just tape and paint. Appreciate the heads-up on the winding part.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Not sure if this would help Simon but my son let me use his skylift for our solar system and I found out that is a tool I'd really like to have although I can use his, if you were to put that dead center of the awning and take it to the correct height crawl out of it ladder down the side you might be able to do that by rolling it over onto the top of the sky lift. Or your neighbor with a forklift.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

These are worth their weight, so handy around the house and even to wax your coach:
https://www.harborfreight.com/900-lb-cap...=scaffolds

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Thats a lot cheaper than a skylift Forest. Thumbs up

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Those are both great ideas but I do not have enough concrete width for a lift or scaffold unfortunately.

I called a local awning shop today. I was given a 4k quote to replace fabrics on 4 window awnings and one 23' patio awning. I think it's fair. They would send their guys out to remove and take with them, do the work in their facility and then come back and install. Stone Vos was cheaper by $500 but that would require a drive to FL negating any savings towards fuel.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Just to update this thread, I had Chester Stone and his crew come out yesterday to install the new awnings. He had four guys plus himself working this thing the entire day. I would not have attempted this myself. They did a fantastic job and the black looks amazing with the exterior coloring. I will need to blow off the dust or rinse the fabric the next time I unfurl them. I caught a terrible head cold and didn't spend much time on the coach the last two days. Going to load up on "knock me out" cough syrup and try to get rest.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312