You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New Member seeking Newell guidance

I always say if u take an old house and an old truck and put them together u get an old motorhome.! I have worked on many RVs over the years. For me the Newell is different because regardless of its age I feel like the repair is worthwhile because the basic structure is solid. Learning the techniques the Newell craftsmen utilize inspires me to do my best work on the repair or renovation.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Hi Everyone:

First, thank you very much for individual detailed answers.  Boy I think I have found a great group of RVers.

In my initial request that started this thread I did skim over our excellence experience with our Country Coach and did not provide specific reasons of the sale.  Here are the things that placed me in a position to sell:

1. Body cracks began to form around the slides that were getting worse and would require major repairs.
2. Unique CC parts were hard to find or were not available causing down time while a solution was found.
3. I was generally on my own with unique CC system trouble shooting.  While toward the end I did link up with two very good CC tech folks, they were not always able to resolve issues and some tasks got very expensive through trial and error.  CC was taken over by Winnie but recently sold off and now the brand is gone.
4. The CC is very well made, especially the Dynamax frame.  However we began to see rust everywhere under the bus (First owner Ontario, Canada, we were owner two and lived in dry Nevada).
5. Lack of parts and lack of service were the big issues for the sale.

Going forward I do fully understand that all big motorhomes require regular maintenance and update etc.  In the five years we owned the CC I have recorded at least $100K in upgrades, maintenance and service.

The reason I like the Newell is the same reason I purchased the CC:

1. The company is still in business and has a service department that can help 24/7.
2. The chassis and frame are built to be very safe.
3. Build, fit and finish are first class, even on older coaches.
4. Parts are available and some are somewhat common.
5. Plenty of power (Except I might avoid the 650) hence I think the CAT might be better.
6. All wheel disc brakes, same as the CC.  Excellent stopping power.

I could go on, but I'm preaching to owners of a Newell Coach!

For now the market is too hot and I will wait until it cools off or my money grows more (Assuming the market rises).  I would like to stay between $500-600K and for now that might be tough.  Like anything nice we must wait for it.  I have time.

Thanks again everyone!  I will keep an eye on the used coaches forum.  Happy trails.

Welcome to the group Tony. Keep your eyes on the usual sales sites like RVTrader and RVT and make sure you belong to the Facebook group as well as some coaches get posted there before anyone posts on the paid sites. You were spot on with this being an amazing group of folks. This site and the comfort of a 24/7 Newell support were big factors in my decision making process as well.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

I'm curious, how many folks here spend $20,000, or more per year maintaining their Newell? I noticed NotSoFast spends that much on his 2008 each year.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Hello everybody. I`m Dave and my wife is Cathie. Very happy and proud owners of a 2002 Newell 45ft.#619 with Detroit 60 series,12.7 litre, 500 hp coach. Currently having the coach gone through at Newell already had engine checked out at Detroit dealer. Bottom line is we love it and can't wait to get cruising.  This forum has been invaluable. It has been an excellent resource about so many things to do with RVing and owning a Newell. Thanks to all that have made the effort and taken the time to share their knowledge and moderate this site. Keep in touch andwe`ll try to do the same. Safe travels!

I sure hope I do not have to spend that much every year otherwise this will be parked on the side of the house and used as a getaway space!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312