You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

bode air door seal replacement

hi all,

several years ago, the rubber door seal on the actual door itself of my bode air dear ripped about half way up on the left of the door as you are outside.  the rip was about 2-3 inches long.   i superglued it and it lasted a while and i glued it a second time.  

so i decided to replace it.  i called bode north america and gave them the door assembly part number which is listed in my thread from years ago.  it also has the bode drawings and part numbers for everything on the door.  

with that, i ordered the exterior door seal.   300 bucks.   

http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=655

it sat around for a while and since richard was here for a week, we decided to tackle replacing it

the seal came with preformed 90 degree corners for the top of the door and was about 2 feet long on each sided past the bottom of the door 

it did NOT have any of the holes cut in it for the 4 latches and 2 deadbolts.   we experimented with how to cut the holes on the old rubber (which by the way was much harder and more brittle than the new soft rubber seal)  it was the original as it had paint from when the coach was painted on it.  

richard set up my drill press with a forstner bit to drill the holes in the rubber, yea it worked and we experimented before doing it on the final piece.  there were 16 oblong holes for the latches (2 for each of the 4 latches) and 2 more for the deadbolts. 

there is no room for error or you will be buying a new 300 buck seal.  

we marked everything on the door with painters tape and pencil markings to know exactly where the adjustable latches had previously been.   then took the latches off, put the new seal on before cutting any holes in it, put it in the groove on the top and just around the top corners, then let the seal hang, and transfered the markings on the painters tape on the door to the new seal.

once we did that, we took the seal off and the holes were drilled and elongated with nippers.  

putting the seal on takes alot of slippery lubricant (we used the kids bubbles i use for air leaks) on the seal as then you have to get it pushed into an angular groove in the door (just like the slide seals).  

once the seal was all the way on and "adjusted" to make it fit over the holes, i cut the bottom off flush with the door, and put the two bottom new screws in to keep it from coming out at the bottom.  

then i spent some time adjusting the latches to get the door to inch upwards snugly (as the door closes, it comes in, the inches upward about 3/4 of an inch to get itself in the sloped latches.  

richard was the main hole cutter and i did my usual superversion.....ha    nice to have skilled helpers here.  

pictures below.  

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Looks like it worked out really well. Always helps to have the right tools.

Does the threshold seal it across the bottom?

Nice install.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

It has another simple rubber seal on the bottom that hits the threshold

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH