You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Martin 17.5 spins but no start

So this is a new to me coach. Generator behaved nicely when I inspected the Coach but now that it’s home, genny refuses to start. It will spin over. Fluids are fine. The solenoid to activate the fuel delivery is not engaging when I manually start it from the generator itself. What would cause this to not pull? I did find an airline that was badly kinked with a possible air leak. I will fix that tomorrow when the push connectors come in. Also the air bags look rather tired and could use a replacement. Any ideas where to source those?
Thanks guys!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

My gen has a relay mounted near the fuel solenoid . Check it for 12 V. I would change that first. You may need to replace the solenoid . Hopefully Bestgenman will chime in. My old 12.5 gen had a fuse in the gen control box. That caused the same symptoms.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

So I held the solenoid in while cranking and the generator started. After releasing it, the generator continued to run. I turned it off and restarted it where the solenoid did pull the fuel manifold on its own. Of course it worked with several successions of start and stopping. Only did it fail to start after I stuffed the generator back in the nose. Who would have this part? I also need the air manifold switch for the generator slide. It is leaking air. Might need generator air bags too since they are pretty dried up and cracked even though they seem to hold air. Compressor is also on its last borrowed time....

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Check voltage on house batteries. Sometimes when my house batteries are low I have to start DD and merge batteries to get enough voltage for the fuel solenoid to operate on the generator. It will crank but not run if voltage is to low. By holding it in to get it to run it may have made enough charge to restart a few times but then dropped voltage over time when you slid it back inside.

Simon, Ccjohnson is right on. If u need parts Call Martin Diesel. 419-782-9911. If u have a Yanmar engine u might try a John Deere dealer. Martin Diesel are great ppl who can be trusted.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I’m guessing your problem is the slug, or movable part, is sticking.  This happens on my set once in a while.  The solenoid is really two coils of wire making magnetic force.  One holds the slug in, which you proved working when you manually pushed it in and it stayed.   The other is pull in and you’ve also proved it is working.  The fix is gently peel the boot away and remove the slug.   Clean it and apply a dry lubricant such as graphite or molybdenum disulfide,  nothing that will dry like WD40 will work.   Or, buy a new one.   Martin will have them and the air springs as well.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Thanks guys! I am reading this just after I figured out to call Martin Generator. Solenoid was $206 and while I had them on the phone I ordered 4 new airbags at $73 a piece. I have a new compressor coming in along with dryer to take care of my well worn unit and cracked leaking plastic dryer bowl. Last thing I need is the generator slide valve as that has a bad air leak.

I wanted to add that all batteries have been replaced this past July by previous owner.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312