You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Alternator Belt on a Classic

My 86 was a direct drive alternator.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

From what I remember, to access my engine from under the bed, I would have to disassemble some cabinetry - It is definitely NOT made like my Dad's Thor DP - that hinges up easily.

Mine has a heart inverter & a engine coolant heater under the bed along with a couple of drawers.

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

Super amazing stuff here. My wife told me “You should look for that belt in the toolbox” I think I don’t want her to be right! I’ll take a look at it tomorrow and also record a video of the location of the alternator and what I have under the bed (inverter, drawers and heater that works with the engine coolant)

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

The DD parts manual shows eight belt configurations , from 28" to 46" in length . Width 3/8 and 1/2 .  Engine serial number and type are needed to find correct P/N . 
Hopefully you have a replacement belt in your spare parts bin . 
When bed is removed on my '86 the engine is accessible,  alternator is easy to get to . A section of the bed base has been cut out at some point to allow engine access . This panel is held down with screws , and is layered , hard insulation sandwiched between top piece and bottom plywood which has foil backed foam insulation . I avoid removing all this if possible !
My air cleaner is on the passenger side , so  I can get to the alternator belts from driver's side . 
Issues I had with the direct drive alternator that led to
my belt conversion is another story for another day. 
Good luck! 
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand