You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Reverse Polarity

So if some of you remember last week, I was carefully washing the front blower bay and got blasted electrically. I was using a stainless steel garden hose (you know the ones that never kink but instead become an unraveled mess and leak all over?, Yes, thats the one!) So the water spray I thought must have hit something live on the blower. Well I had realized the other day when I was adding a receptacle that all of them were showing reverse polarity. The neutrals in the breaker box were hot. So I checked my 120v cord which is feeding the coach and it is correct. The previous owner left me with two adapters to drop from the 4 wire 50 amp cord to the three wire "V" 30 amp configuration and finally another short cord from the 30 amp to the 120v. I checked the 50 amp cord and it is properly wired. Would the two 18" converter plugs be made wrong to send the power reversed? Both short cords are made by Camco which is a good company. I ordered from Amazon (Because Bezos needs another rocket ship) a 50amp to 120v cord so see if that helps with the reverse polarity. Coach is otherwise wired correctly. Have any of you gone through this? Incidentally, the metal exterior of the coach was live with my Greenlee 6706 tester. Crazy. Now I keep it unplugged except at night to charge the batteries from the days use...

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Easy to check with a voltmeter. Take each adapter cord and test for continuity between the common prongs on each end of the adapter. With the round pin up, the neutral should be the lower center vertical prong on the 240 volt plug and with the round pin up, the neutral should be on the right side of the 30 amp 120 volt socket when viewed facing the socket. Sounds like one of the receptacles/cords/plugs has the ground and the neutral reversed.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com