You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New Flooring for 300

Hello all,

Finished up the new floor today and thought I would share some pics. I must admit that this project was a bit more difficult (okay, a lot more difficult) than I anticipated. It took considerably more time than I budgeted for and I can certainly understand why professional installers charge what they do. We had a couple of estimates in the 5K-7K range, which at the time, I thought was outrageous. I still wouldn't pay that much for a new floor in my 30 year old coach, but I would charge that much (or more), if I had to do the install for someone else.

After all the complaining about how difficult it was and how long it took, I have to say it was well worth it. The new floor looks great and really gives the interior a fresh look. I know the carpet that Newell used was very high quality but it was 30 years old and it was time to go.

Thanks to everyone for previous posts on this topic and for those that responded to some of the questions I had along the way.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Tony and Cindy Frazier
1992, #300   Wink
2023 Ford Broncos Bad lands Toad
Columbia, SC

Looks great! You did an awesome job!

Oscar & Janet Valent
Full timing
2004 Foretravel U320 3820 PBBS
2007 Newell Coach #815 - Great Coach Sold
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit

Very Nice!

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

Outstanding! I am dreading all the cuts around the curves. Can you post a pic of the upper woodwork on the salon area? Ours is all fabric covered that we will either reupholster or just rebuild a new "box" and do a straight track LED system in lieu of the pucks. Did you use silicone at the edges where the floor meets the cabinets and curves? I will be doing a very similar floor color. Not sure how to seal/secure the edges at the wall and yet leave expansion room.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Great job, looks fantastic.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Simon, I never thought about how many radius cuts I was going to have to.make until I started this process. The small radius corners are pretty easy. Make sure you get a contour gauge. I used a 5" and a 12" . You can get them at the big box stores or amazon, etc. It is better to under cut than to over cut as you can always remove more material, but you can never add more back. I had to play around with the big radius in the pic as it has multiple boards in the cut, but I finally got it. The bathroom is on the other side of those cuts so I had to do it a second time. It was much easier because I save the scraps from the first cuts and used them as a template. Had to tweak it a little bit turned out really good.

I would say the other challenging part was at the door jams. In a normal residential install, you can undercut the jams and not have to be so precise with your cuts. However, I was concerned about doing this to my coach so I cut around them instead.

I bought 25% more LVP than I thought I would need and I used most of it. I think I ended up with 1/2 box of full pcs. and a lot of scraps. I'll hang on to the extra in case I have to make any repairs in the future.

I did use color matched, silicon caulk around the edges ( what a joy that was). initially I thought about adding some shoe or 1/4 round but everyone on the Guru's site convinced me otherwise. I am probably a little closer than the recommended gap to the edges and I hope that doesn't cause me any issues. I didn't glue it down like Richard recommended (sorry Richard) and I hope that doesn't come back to bite me later.

As far as the woodwork in the salon area is concerned, are you talking about the valences? If so, mine are fabric covered to. I removed the passenger side valence when I installed the new camera system and regret not addressing the lighting then. Now that is on my list of projects for this winter.I

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments

Tony and Cindy Frazier
1992, #300   Wink
Columbia, SC

i put lvp in my cabin in the mountain where there is pretty large temp swings and it has not moved any for expansion or contraction that i can tell.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tony, you did a beautiful job.  And as I read your additional posts and came across the challenges and fixes it was even more impressive.  The fact that you didn't glue down the floor may be a serendipitous action.  Our floor had been replaced a few years ago and when it came to access the slide mechanism for repairs it took a couple of hours to separate the floor to allow access to the slide mechanism.  You'll have saved yourself time and effort in the event seal service becomes an issue.
And cudos too to whoever selected the flooring wood pattern.  It looks fantastic.

Sandy and Bob McBratney
Previous owners of 2007 Newell #1202  "Boomer" 

My wife picked it out. I just provide the labor.

Tony and Cindy Frazier
1992, #300   Wink
Columbia, SC

Tony,

Super nice job, really changes and updates the interior.

A couple of comments. One, Ernie is a huge fan of molding or 1/4 round. Like you, I installed with less than a 1/8 gap to the wall and filled with colored silicone caulk. You cannot see it unless you get on your hands and knees and look for it.

Also, I only glued because I have slides. Leaving the planks to float on the disappearing floor, and the corresponding edges was not going to work long term. With a no slide coach, there are many reasons to allow the floor to float.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )