You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Doghouse - Center console

So I just posted some before and after pictures of my LVP floor install. I did have an incident while working in the front passenger area and I cracked the black curved trim. I was being lazy and used the doghouse as a support when went to stand up. Unfortunately, I didn't put my hand on top of the center console (thought I did) but right on the radius corner of the black trim. Apparently that black material is not made of a material that will structurally support 220 lbs. It is actually a very thin piece of plastic. Anyway, I now have multiple cracks in the trim and it looks really bad. 

Does anyone know if there are replacements for something like this or any suggestions on how I might be able to repair it. I would prefer to just replace it but its probably wishful thinking..

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Tony and Cindy Frazier
1992, #300   Wink
2023 Ford Broncos Bad lands Toad
Columbia, SC

On my '93 I took a sheet of black ABS plastic, cut it to size and used a heat gun to bend it to shape. Took a while to get the bend just right. I left the textured side out since the smooth surface shows scratches easily.
I left the old plastic in place and glued the new one over it. I don't remember what thickness but 1/16" or 1/8" is thick enough if you glue it over the old plastic. Not a difficult job.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Mine has cracks too but not as bad. Perhaps my 160lb frame did less damage? LOL Either way, I would be curious where to find that thin sheet too. A sharpie pen has been the previous owners friend. there are spots marked everywhere...

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Amazon and ebay have the ABS plastic sheets. It's commonly used for vacuum forming parts.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

This may be bad info, because it is over 10 years old. Many years ago, when I asked Newell where to get the stuff, I seem to remember that the plastic they used was used to make engraved name plates.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

that is exactly what i used on my 90.  in fact, i had a local trophy shop cut the switch holes out and engrave the labels on them.

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

The problem is the compound curve on the corner that is broken. Easy to do with ABS using a heat gun.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

yea, mine was flat.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

If i had to do that, i would use an oversize sheet of kraft paper, form it to the desired panel, then mark it with a pencil. Cut it out and you have the pattern needed for the compound curve.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )