You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

air leaks

My mechanic wants to put air conditioner dye in the air system to locate leaks. Any coments?

Wont hurt anything, but also is not very effective. The reason it is not very effective is that there is very little circulation in the air system like there is a an AC system. The dye becomes suspended as an aerosol in the AC circulation. It takes circulation to distribute the dye.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Get an Infinicon - you can HEAR the leaks and diagnose them - best $$$ I have spent for tracking down air leaks… https://www.amazon.com/711-203-G1-Enhanc...B0023SMJL0
Wow, had no idea it cost that much!!!

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

I agree with pairodice "Get an Infinicon"
I bought one and as soon as I opened the engine access on the curb side I heard a whistle coming from the air separator.
I couldn't feel the air coming out of the bottom plug or from around the cylinder near the top but the leak detector alerted me before I leaned in to search.
It wasn't cheap but it works.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile