You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Bay heater thermostats

Last winter in Colorado Springs, we had freshwater pipes freeze in the driver's side bay. Seemed like the frozen area was in the pex beyond the valve manifolds. Luckily we didn't have any bursts or leaks after thawing out.

At the time, the front of the electric cube heater down there was not warm, so I figured it was the heater or the thermostat that sits on that side. I threw an electric heater down there above the water tank to make it through the rest of the winter.

Well, winter is upon us again and figured I'd work on a permanent solution.

But I ran across a bit of a surprise today.

The driver's side 120V cube heater appears to be controlled by the passenger side thermostat. And the aquahot bay heat exchanger and fan appears to be controlled by the little thermostat on the driver's side with the copper capillary tube. Exactly the opposite of what I expected.

Does anybody know why Newell would have done this?

The passenger side is usually fairly warm just from having the aquahot over there. I suspect that the thermostat on that side rarely trips to turn on the 120V heater. I'm considering just moving the 120V thermostat over to the driver's side bay so that the 120V heater is controlled based on local (to the heater) temperatures, but want to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot somehow by doing so.

Paul
Coach #540
2000 Double Slide, Bath and a half, Average sized fan for its age
Fulltiming for a while around CO

I don't know why, but my coach is wired the same.

1998 Coach 484
1997 Suzuki Sidekick toad. 
Cheers.  

Maybe Newell separated the heater/thermostat from the capillary end so it would get a reading from the other end of the bay so it did not under-heat the bay on that side… maybe :-)

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40