You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Freedom Inverter/charger replacement

I’m going to be replacing the old Freedom soon since the remote panel works sporadically and says my engine batteries are almost dead when I know they are not (tested them to be sure).  If I were going to ‘one day’ convert to Lithium batteries and solar panels should I go with something like a Victron system? 
I am planning to use my existing AGMs and program the inverter for them - would this be a good idea or am I missing something? 
What should I use to charge my coach/engine batteries?  

This is a system I’m considering (among other options): 
Victron Energy MultiPlus-II 12/3000/125-50 @X120V
Victron VE.Bus Smart Dongle
Victron Cerbo GX
Victron BMV-712 Battery Monitor (OR Victron Energy GX Touch 50)
Victron Interface MK3-USB (VE bus to USB)

Any help or comments is highly appreciated!  
I don’t want to have to throw out anything later because I missed something! 

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

How often do you boondock? And for how long at a time?

My point is that you have specified a nice system, but if you don’t need all that then it’s overkill. And you will NOT recoup the investment if you decide to sell.

You could take a much easier path. Magnum MS2812 and ME-ARC remote. Fits in existing place, uses existing cable between inverter and panel, completely customizable for Lithium, AGM, and solar, plus if you add the BMK (battery monitor kit) you get State of Charge on the panel.

There are many other great options, but the first step is figuring out what you need based upon planned useage.

As far as charging the engine batteries, I am assuming you mean keeping them charged while parked. Do you already have a system on board? I don’t remember.

And when you convert to Lithium, you will need to figure out what you are going to do to prevent the alternator from trying to charge the Lithiums. The setup you have will shred the belts and cook the alternator in short fashion due to the ability of the Lithiums to accept massive amounts of current.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks Richard! That’s the kind of advice I’m looking for (and alternatives). I did do a search for other Lithium setups because I know they are on here somewhere but I cannot make the search find ‘lithium’ or ‘lithium batter’ anywhere…
We plan to start doing more boondocking for several days/weeks in the next year or so and am just making plans and getting finances together so we would like to budget this setup in. The old Freedom inverter has a built in charger so that would need to be replaced with something else but not sure what - any suggestions? I will do some research into the Magnum MS2812. I need to figure out my average daily loads once we are boondocking for a while.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

The first thing I'd do is install a Victron BMV-712. This will give you all of the information you need on usage to make your other decisions. The BMV-712 as you probably know is bluetooth so you can leave the monitor next to the house batteries and monitor it with your phone or laptop.
Do you plan on solar panels or using your generator to charge your batteries when you're boondocking?
To charge the house batteries when driving you can use a battery to battery charger, either a Victron Orion or a Sterling.
Some of the FT guys have put together really nice systems. Search for Roger Engdahl's or Oscar's posts on the FT forum.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337