You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Retrofit: Plumbing in Glide/Slide-out Possible?

I'm a bit apprehensive in asking this question because I'll probably come across as bonkers...

None the less, my desire for clean clothes (ala Washer/Dryer) will have to take priority.

The 2006 Newell we've purchased has no washer/dryer and the only locations where one would fit, are located in the glide-outs.  I'm tempted to say "slide-outs" but I'm attempting to be true to Newell's nomenclature Smile

Does anyone have any idea if it's possible to route hot/cold/1.5' flexible hoses in such a way that the extension/retraction of the slides won't be a problem?  Or whether there is another Newell where this was done (in that case, perhaps I can get the FEM from Newell and determine how it can be done)?

It is sounds like I'm being difficult, it's because our coach only has 68" (kitchenette side) & 82" (mid-bath side) of mid-coach, non-slide, wall and no possibility to install the smallest of W/D single-unit combos.

Thank you in advance for any insight,
Tiffany

Tiffany,
Lots of coaches including 653 have sinks in the slide outs.

I suspect that it would be easiest in slides that do not have raising floors. In 653 the number 2 slide (rear drivers side) did not have a floor section that raised. (Bed and sink took up most of the room).

I often thought of adding a washer / dryer but never got that far. My plan was to reconfigure the galley, remove the built in drawer dishwasher and create a spot for the washer and dryer to go. It never happened…but that was the plan.

Good luck!
BILL

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bill,
Thanks very much. You're absolutely right, that was clearly a momentary lapse of reason. I had overlooked galley-sinks as an analog.

We also gave thought to the idea of placing it under the galley-counter; however, that would result in being located under the sink /or/ cooktop. In either case, that would require raising the countertop, so that's out.

We also hoped we could place a smaller combo unit in the rear closet (being the only other static area of the coach); however that's not nearly deep enough.

I'm really curious how the plumbing mitigates the slide. I have a thought in my head where an arc'ed hose could be tensioned, similar to the manner a faucet-sink sprayer can be tensioned (to oversimplify). Essentially you have a weight or counter-inertia at the apex pulling it back to an arc when compressed.

Thanks again,
Tiffany

PVC pipe coming off the bottom of the kitchen sink runs along the back of the slide, has a 90 degree elbow bringing the waste water through hard line to the inside (centerline of the coach) edge of the slide. It connects to a flexible line that then connects to the hard pvc pipe in the wall of the coach.

The flexible line allows the slide plumbing to move with the slide.

The "wear point" is the flexible line. It can slowly harden and crack, causing a leak. Ours probably needs replacement about every 10 years or so. I used pool filter hose to replace the original cracked oem hose.

06 M450LXi 3 slide

@"arcticdude" - excellent information, thank you!

I'm not sure of the proper term for the covered Valid-Glide-Motor sections; I'll call them "covered motor" --

When you say that the flex-PVC goes between the 90 in the corner and the center -- is it bending to take-up slack inside the covered-motor area? Or is all of this just below the floor?

Thanks again!