You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Dead in the water Series 60?

Richard,
Sorry, color me confused.. The solenoid I am speaking about raises/lowers the tag to shift weight for scales or provide extra drive traction temporarily. The diff lock, I believe is another thing entirely.

If I cap the supply for the tag axle wouldn't I have the wrong pressure in those bags?? or is the raise/lower a completely separate function?

Am I missing something obvious. Being NOT a morning person and being only halfway through my first cup of coffee may have exacerbated this!

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

I don’t think the solenoid that you mention is the device the changes air pressure in the tags. That system works entirely differently, and it takes 4 solenoids, two for each side. They are buried in the frame rails under the coach.

Are we talking about the solenoid that is mounted on the passenger firewall, below the HWH six pack? Can you post a picture?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Here you go. hen you activate the three way switch listed as TAG Axle on the dash this activates.

Would love to replace it since it is leaking.... I believe it's a 3 way 12v air solenoid.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

Well, no two Newells are alike. So forgive me. Neither of mine had a solenoid like that activated by the tag switch.

This is my differential locking solenoid. 

Knowing how the tag axle lower/raise function works is hard to reconcile with that solenoid. Here is why. The system as used by Newell to increase or decrease pressure in the tag bags maintains right to left separation. I would just have to see how that is plumbed with ONE hose to maintain side to side separation of the systems. 

You have mentioned previously that you have found electrical wiring issues created by a PO. Is it possible that the wiring at the switch panel is flummoxed some how? You could easily confirm by decreasing pressure in the tag bags, switch on engine off, of course. If decreasing pressure in the tag bags causes the rear of the coach to squat then I am full of mud of what the solenoid you pictured does.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Richard,
Spot ON! The diff lock switch was wired to the tag axle switch.

Now that is correct. However when the solenoid is activated (which I assume is sending air to the diff lock) no leak, when it's off (Down on the switch) I have air leaking out the center port in the picture.

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

Richard,
Do you have a part number for the SMC one you have? It's obscured in the photo. Or any part number/description so I could locate a proper replacement?

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

I do not have a part number other than what you see in the photo.

It is a simple 12V activated solenoid. It is not a three way solenoid.

Here is an example. https://www.mcmaster.com/pneumatic-valve...le-acting/  Look at valves G and H. You can find them cheaper now that you know what you are looking for.

Or if you want to go a different way https://www.amazon.com/4inch-Normally-Cl...B074Z5SDG3

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Thanks ordered a few.

Is it odd that I don't have a Davco?

??

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

So, after changing out the Flue/water separator and priming the system...started right up with some coaxing. We made it back on the road and even got to our dinner reservations in Bellville, OH. Just got off the road at a truck stop in PA about 2 hours past Pittsburgh on our way to Cabelas in Hamburg, PA.

Still have a leaking diff lock solenoid....But I ordered one and will install when i get back.

Cheers!

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

Thx for update! Glad you are rolling again.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad