You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New member central florida

Great thank you katnevan I’ll have to check this one out. It’s about 45 minutes from where I live.

Happy hunting as well for you guys

Thanks
Matt

Matt,

I have owned two Newells, one Newmar Mountain Aire, and two class B's.

My comments are based upon several things. All three coaches in your consideration are semi monocogue construction, meaning the exterior skin acts like an exoskeletan and adds tremendous strength to the structure. You will find far less rattles and loose screws in a coach with semi monocogue construction.

Two, I have been into the guts of a LOT of Newells, a few Foretravels, and follow the Wanderlodge group faithfully. Here is MY ranking of complexity and ease of maintenance. Foretravel first, Newell second, and Wanderlodge a distant third. I have driven all three and a handful of Prevost's. The Foretravel is simpler yet doesn't give up much at all in terms of performance, ride, or drive. You will have the 2 stroke vs 4 stroke issue to consider in the years you are considering.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thank you Richard
I know exactly what you mean by the 2 vs 4 stroke difference the 4 strokes can’t compete in power with the 2 stroke especially turbo models the 6v92 alone puts out almost 950 lb ft torque is my memory serves me right compared to a modest 400-500 on ft out of a 3208 or Detroit 8.2 that were used in these models during this time medium duty engines.

Thank you for your input and yes the foretravel is very simple in build compared to the other more loaded type Newell’s and wanderlodge. The grand villas of this era just are so beautiful to me they look like a train in the front and interiors don’t disappoint at all. The sliding wood cabinet fronts also help with little to no rattle and The front heater pushes the air up and around your plumbing and front water storage tank to keep it from freezing the simple design can be a life saver if you are in colder
Temps. The fiberglass inside is just like what you would see in a yacht and helps with squeaks and rattles as well. My moms coach is so quiet when going down highway you can barely hear the engine when going 62 or so mph however I do love the outer skins of the Newell (aluminum) and steel construction of the wanderlodge.

One point to consider about the Foretravel is the way the frame is made. If you look underneath between the front and rear tires there is smooth fiberglass covering the entire frame. But there have been problems with water intrusion due to either spray from driving in the rain entering at the front or rear bulkhead or overflowing the water tank or plumbing leaks. The frame is uncoated iron and there are quite a few instances of frames having to be rebuilt due to the rust. Fortunately it isn't a huge job and can be done by someone with welding experience.
Search on the foreforums.com for "bulkhead separation".
Just an FYI if considering a FT.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337