You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Unidentified fan noise

As we continue to get to know our newly adopted coach we realize more each day how much learning we still have ahead! We have been working lately on the vast heating systems and trying to understand what thermostat controls what, etc. Thankfully we have all of the original blueprints and wiring schematics, but I thought perhaps someone would know this answer off the top of their head. 
Recently we have been hearing a fan coming on in the front passenger ceiling above the soffit. The thermostat in that front area has been off both times. Fran checked it out this afternoon and it seems to be drawing air rather than blowing. It comes on and shuts off by itself.  What is this and what is controlling it?

Fran & Cherie 
1998 Newell 45L-102 #497

If you have all the blueprints and wiring schematics you are a lucky person indeed. Most of us have no wiring schematics and only the one sheet floorplan or on later coaches the one sheet floorplan and elevations plan.

I suspect the fan is a temperature controlled cooling fan for the electronics in the passenger side overhead compartment but since my coach doesn't have a fan in that area, I can't be certain.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

What Michael said, although I can’t tell that it really makes a difference in the temp up there,

I would gladly cover the costs of getting those schematics into some transmissible form or a hard copy. Gladly !!!!!!

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

It is a small whisper fan controlled by a bi metal strip thermostat to control the fan for the electronics. I disconnected mine. The electronics I have up there doesn't generate the heat that the components 20 years ago did

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks all! We live in Iowa and we had some warm (55 + degrees) days last week. We obviously aren’t running the A/C and when the fan kicked in the sun had warmed the coach like a giant toaster oven! Fran was assuming because of it’s location that it must have something to do with cooling the electronics but wasn’t able to locate a switch or thermostat for it. 
Richard, we will definitely figure out a way to get you a copy of what we have for wiring either digitally or by mail!  Smile

Fran & Cherie 
1998 Newell 45L-102 #497

i thought most iowans with a newell left during the winter? seems to be alot of iowans, canadians, etc here in az now.....

i follow the weather in my home town of mason city. only a couple of hours from you

tom

Ah yes, someday we will be one of those Iowans! We recently sold our restaurant, that we lived above, and the original plan was to build a barndo for us and the Newell. I’m semi retired, as I was running the restaurant full time, but Fran is not ready to retire from his job yet. We decided to wait on the construction of a barndo due to the increase in materials cost, etc. and realized our new coach was nicer and had more bathrooms than all of the apartments we looked at, so we’re giving full timing a try! So far it’s been really mild, but as you know, it’s Iowa….just wait a day!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Fran & Cherie 
1998 Newell 45L-102 #497

I was just up in that area on the driver side to pull the rope light slack out. Here are some pics and links if the pics don't show properly.
As soon as I pulled the soffit off and saw the fan some answers were obvious. I don't know what controls them. Since Tom said he unhooked them because we don't have the heavy heat generating equipment up there I may do the same thing. The noise doesn't bother me so much now that I know what it is and I'm not in a hurry to go back in there. I have a few more pressing honey-do's to get done first.

[Image: view?usp=sharing] 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MYVunlL...sp=sharing 
[Image: view?usp=sharing]
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OModqhg...sp=sharing

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

if you follow the wires coming off of the fan you will find a simple on off bitmetal thermostat. usually looks like a penny with mounting tabs on it. those two relays next to the crossover are the ones that switch between home theatre and car radio for the speakers.

tom

Tom,
What controls the relay to switch between Car radio and Theater??

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan