You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Looking for coach

Hi All,

I am not totally new to the Newell family, but yet it has been 20 years since I have taken a trip in one. I forget what year model it was but it was originally my stepmother's parents Coach. My father and stepmother took delivery of the coach(both since deceased) from the factory it's first annual service and at the time I was going to school in Miami at N.E.O. we took a many state trip and I was allowed to take it with some college friends to a few legs of the trip. This was my step grandparents third or fourth Newell that I knew of. I am originally from near Miami and would cruise the strip in the early 90s.

Fast forward from the 90's until today. I have 1/2 custody of a seven year old. I also have an opportunity that I can work remotely and around the country without needing a true home base. I will buy or lease some commercial property for some operations that we need to have stationary. I have had multiple fifth wheels, horse trailers, large boats and LQ horse trailers. I have never had a coach before though. 

Here are my wants. 

Realistically would like to be $200k or less, while I can go way over 400k, I don't really want to. I would like to purchase some other equipment with that capital. 
Must be able to tow a two car stacker trailer. Would like to have a small work area in trailer., stacker can be a package with coach and preferred. For car size, I have a couple of classics to rotate between and then usually would like to carry a full size sedan or new Corvette. 
Would like to have the flat slide system with at least two slides preferably four. The larger the coach the better.
A higher horsepower Caterpillar power plant. I would do a Cummins but I have Cat or MTU in everything else. 

The following are pretty much more than wants, but will be above everything else. 

A bunk area or something dedicated for my son. 
A dedicated or fairly dedicated work area.
Not have the wifi/satellite system completely upgraded yet. I have two companies that are in the tech space and even if upgraded my team will come in and change completely. 
Either have a solar system installed or one can be retrofitted for off grid use, part of one of my companies does solar system for power grid level and power wall type systems we can leave one in place or design one, but the roof must be able to support it. 
Either already retrofitted or originally had plasma TV's, this is one retrofit I don't want to deal with. 
I REALLY do not like a light interior in the coach. White couches etc are OUT. 
Want something newer, BUT really dislike dealing with DEF, the DEF issue is huge for me. 

I know I should be looking to build, I could, but really don't have the want to drop that much capital right now. 

TIA if anyone knows of anything.

Newell changed from about 515 HP Detroits and an occasional equivalent horsepower Cat to the 600+ HP Cats in the late 2006 model range. Some of those have been advertised in the $225-$250k range. Newell switched from Cat to Cummins in the late 2010 models. By 2010, almost all Newells would have 4 slides, typically with either all flat floor slides or in a few cases, the bed being in a non-flat floor slide. To avoid DEF, you would need to stay back in the pre-2013 or 2014 range. I don't know exactly when Newell started using DEF engines but I have noted that several 2012's were non-DEF. By 2008-2009, most of the Newells advertised are over $400,000. With the proper hitch, all of the Newells in the 2006 and newer category will be capable of towing at least 20,000 pounds.

The remainder of your list would vary from coach to coach since each one is different.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Continuation:
Buck bed models are rare in the pre-2018 Newells. Some years had one, others none. Desks were provided in many of the coaches during this time period. Few post 2000 model year Newells have solar systems installed but it is certainly possible to add one. Newell used plasma tv's from about 1999 to 2008 and moved to LCD/LED based TV after that. Frequently, TV's have already been upgraded to larger LCD/LED based TVs.

Typically from 2004 on most Newells will be 4 slides. 2003's included 2, 3 and 4 slide models. 2001-2002 would be 2 or 3 slide units. 1998-2000 would typically be 2 slides.

I have seen a couple of Newells listed with a stacker trailer but they are rare. Generally, stacker owners sell their stacker separately to maximize sales price.

With your no DEF requirement (typically pre-2013), your desire for the higher horsepower engines (late 2006 and newer) and your desire to stay in the $200,000-$400,000 is probably going to get you into the 2006-2008 model year. These would have the 600 or 625 HP Cat, the ZF suspension with the steering tag axle and typically 4 slides.

Happy hunting!!

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Welcome to the group!

One thing to add to everything Michael said relates to your desire for bunks. Will be a true needle in a haystack situation, but one cool work around I have seen done that is not crazy expensive and can work pretty well is to put 2-3 bunks where the dinette is normally sitting on the drivers side and then put the dinette on the curb side behind the passenger. A good example of this can be found in the photos in this link. The coach in the link it not currently for sale, it's just an old ad sitting online. What is really attractive about this option is that it can go back to the way it was without crazy expense if he next owner does not want bunks. I will also add if was doing something like this I would 100% have Newell do all of the work as it will look like it left the factory that way.

http://www.bus-stuff.com/2005Newell_Newell752.html

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

I don't have to have bunk beds just space for one 7 year old son that is a perm bed.

Not sure this is what you're looking for. Nice paint scheme in C-list Phoenix AZ. Mileage looks little low for the year so I'd for sure have it looked at by someone in the area. Which is a good idea for any of these technical marvels. Way out of my price range but may work for you. Good luck, looking is half the fun.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/rvs/d...27331.html

John and Marcia Marshall 
1975 Newell 30ft - 9.0 IHC
1986 Navstar 9.0 Diesel 160hp
98 Mustang GT
getting closer
ASE Master & Computer Admin
Love old tech  Idea

FYI - saw this listed in another part of this forum - " Discussion on what to consider when buying a used Newell" the Guru's have some very insightful observations on the one I just sent. Some of us have the early simple models. The news ones are super cool though, just a lot more complex. Very much like old computer tech - even though the old stuff is useful, it sure doesn't have the newer wow factors.

John and Marcia Marshall 
1975 Newell 30ft - 9.0 IHC
1986 Navstar 9.0 Diesel 160hp
98 Mustang GT
getting closer
ASE Master & Computer Admin
Love old tech  Idea

Thank you sir. I hate the white but am going to look at it and the thread.