You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Things about consignment

When you buy or sell a high dollar item like a coach please watch out while doing without dealing with the owner of the coach, if it is a consignment really watch out. There are ways even appear to be successful dealers can screw you on either a purchase or a sale. I have been screwed once badly on a boat for more than what most used coaches go for. Also I was very lucky to get my car back from a consignment seller recently on a trade in which I didn't have to pay the loan on. This also was a multi six figure close to loss. I can't name the dealer or who was involved but if you look at instagram and youtube you can find what appeared to be a very successful exotic car dealer in the united states that screwed many people, banks and other dealers. It doesn't matter how successful they appear. 

This is just one reason that I will not deal with consignment dealers as a general rule.

fortunate for us, there are a number of reputable high end coach consignment dealers that deal with newells, prevosts and foretravels.

you will find them discussed here on the forum. i have personally sold a newell with steve bennett at arizona luxury coach and it was a flawless deal and we have become friends.

many others have used motorhomes of texas to buy and sell their coaches. several of my friends have done so. and there are others.

that said, i agree with your words of caution. these rigs are alot of money and both seller and buyer should understand what they are doing and getting.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Per usual, well said Tom.

As someone who just sold a coach on their own and always thought it was weird to consign something on the lower end of the pricing spectrum as the demand is super high right now, I have to say I see the logic in it now. In the current market if I was doing it again for anything under 150k I would probably consign it. As the price goes up so does the knowledge base of your buyer in general along with their ability to purchase without financing. I'm not saying there are not super knowledgable folks out there with pockets full of cash, but I'd say that is maybe 5% of your responders. The rest are either first time buyers or first time Newell buyers. I'm keenly aware we all had to start somewhere, but it's a considerable amount of work to field those sales calls appropriately. I did make some new friends in the process so all was not lost, but time consuming nonetheless.

I have some friends who remodel and flip Newell and Prevost coaches in the 200k-500k market who generally sell their coach in a few days direct to the consumer or in some cases they've begrudgingly sold to a dealer as they were first in line and had funds ready to wire.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO