You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Battery / storage advice

Last March I was having issues with my generator. It would start then shut down. I f I started the engine, the generator would fire right up and run as normal. Had a bunch of different suggestions from the Gurus. It ended up being the house batteries. I put two new AGMs in..

Fast forward to today. Same issue all over again. I checked the voltage on the batteries an the were both a round 11.5 V. I can't imagine that both batteries are already shot but I will get them tested tomorrow and figure out what to do from there. I also checked the engine batteries and they were at 12.6 and they are about 5 years old.

Am wondering if I am causing the problem myself. I keep my coach parked in a storage facility that does not have electrical hookups.  I turn off the main battery switches. Could this be the problem?

Tony and Cindy Frazier
1992, #300   Wink
2023 Ford Broncos Bad lands Toad
Columbia, SC

i would guess you have a parasitic draw somewhere. the battery switches are on the negative side.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

What Tom said. Newell is fond of wiring the inverter in a fashion that bypasses the cutoff switch.

If you can’t plug it in. I would charge the batts with the generator, because you don’t want them to sit uncharged. Then take the positive terminal loose on the house batts. Long term, you could add a disconnect switch to the positive side. Blue Sea makes good ones.

With a disconnect, it will be easy to turn them off while you are not using the coach.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )