You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New 220V Induction Cooktop Wiring

I just received a new Dual element 220V flex cooktop and have removed the Gaggenau.

BEFORE I apply power to this thing I wanted to check the wiring.

The Gaggenau was Wired BLACK to BLACK, RED to RED, GROUND to BARE with WHITE Capped off in the box.

Attached is a photo of the wiring they suggest and a photo of how I have it wired.

It appears the Newell side:
RED wire gets wired to the WHITE wire on the cooktop
BLACK wire gets wired to the BLACK wire on the cooktop
Bare/Ground get wired to the GREEN wire

HOWEVER, The diagram in the manual shows the WHITE wire from newell being wired to the WHITE/Neutral!

Before I apply power and cook my cooktop... What's correct for the application?

Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

You may need to check the amp rating of the circuit you are putting this on too. Newell installed a second Gaggenau two burner unit for the previous owner of my coach and I was going to install a 220V induction unit but they only had that circuit on a 20A breaker and the wiring was also only for 20A not 30A, which is what the induction cooktop required. Looking at the power requirements for the two Gaggenau two burner units the circuit was underpowered. I inquired about this to Newell and they just shrugged their shoulders. Luckily I never used more than two of the burners at a time!

Oscar & Janet Valent
Full timing
2004 Foretravel U320 3820 PBBS
2007 Newell Coach #815 - Great Coach Sold
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit

The existing older Gaggenau 2 burner Halogen unit pulled around 12.5 amps at 240V (3000 or so Watts) The New one is about the same Wattage rating.... so Good there.

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

The drawing is misleading.  Your Newell is wired correctly: BLACK AND RED are ungrounded conductors.  The neutral is not a ground wire, it is A GROUNDED CONDUCTOR but not meant to serve as as a ground.  It’s function is to carry any unbalanced current from a THREE WIRE circuit and must be insulated.   
The neutral is grounded at the main service ONLY.  

Your cooktop appears to be a 240 volt only unit and it appears that you have correctly connected it to the Newell.  Green is EQUIPMENT ground and connects to the metal “handy” box, black to black, red to white (of the cooktop) are the ungrounded conductors.   DISCLAIMER, no label is presented and only your statement “Dual element 220V”.  No current draw figures from the  label either however, the Newell circuit is likely fed from a 2 pole 20 A breaker providing ample current.  You might check the new cooktops wire size, it should be at least 12 gauge.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Thank you Gordon.

Am I wrong that the diagram supplied shows that the WHITE service wire is connected to the GREEN appliance wire?

I will look closer tomorrow, however it does appear that i have a 3+unshielded ground from the breaker box in the rear.
With the Gaggenau, the WHITE wire was simply capped off.

Is it possible the supplied diagram is correct somehow? I.e. WHITE to GREEN?

I hate to damage the unit.

Thanks!

A little bit of additional info from the manual:

ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS
The electrical power to the cooktop supply line must be shut off while
connections are being made. Failure to do so could result in serious injury or death.
1. Be sure your cooktop is installed and grounded properly by a qualified installer or service technician.
2. These cooktops must be electrically grounded in accordance with local codes or, in their absence, with the
National Electrical Code ANSI/NFPA No. 70 (latest edition) in the United States, or with CSA standard C22.1,
Canadian Electrical Code, Part 1, in Canada.
3. Install a Junction Box under the cabinet and located as much slack as possible remaining in the cable
between the box and the appliance, so it can be moved if servicing is ever necessary.
4. A 3-wire single phase 240 or 208 Volt, 60 Hz AC only electrical supply is required, on a separate circuit fused
on both sides of the line (a 20A time-delay fuse or circuit breaker is recommended). DO NOT fuse neutral.
NOTE: Wire sizes and connections must conform with the fuse size and rating of the appliance in accordance
with the National Electrical Code ANSI/NFPA No. 70–latest edition, or with CSA standard C22.1, Canadian
Electrical Code, Part 1, and local codes and
ordinances.
5. A suitable strain relief must be provided to
attach the flexible armored cable to the junction
box.
6. This cooktop provided with a 3-wire flexible
cord connected to a 3-wire grounded junction
box as below:
1) Disconnect the power supply.
2) In the junction box: connect flexible cord
of appliance and power supply cable wires
as shown

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

Can you post a link to the manual for the new cooktop?

I really dislike wiring based on colors without testing the wires for voltage. Too many assumptions.

I found that a simple book on house wiring helped me understand the AC wiring in the Newell.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Sure:

https://www.kitchen-and-home.com/wp-cont...191217.pdf

It's the INDV-38FX

But not much info in there. Only one page of wiring "instructions.: No schematics at all.

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

I agree with Gordon. I think you have it wired correctly in the picture.

Thanks for the link.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

I figured, BUT-->

Am I wrong that the diagram supplied shows that the WHITE service wire is connected to the GREEN appliance wire?

HUH?

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

I believe the cooktop is intended for international markets where the standard is 208. So, the US convention of black for one leg, red for the second leg, and white for neutral does not apply to their drawing. The international standard will have you wiring black to one hot leg and white to the second.

There is a wiring diagram on the amazon site for this cooktop that shows exactly this situation. It confirms the way that you wired it. https://www.amazon.com/Induction-Electri...B0861FY7LL

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad