You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Hub Leaking

Got some type of leak on both steer hubs and also on the drivers side tag.  See photo for what it looks like on the wheel itself.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

the hub wet seal that has the rubber cap in it is most likely leaking. alot of time the rubber cap gets hard and starts to seep.

the whole thing is like 30 bucks or close and takes a very short time to change out. most of us have had to replace several of them

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

take off the hubcap and check the lube oil level.

it should be obvious where the leak is when you take off the hubcap

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Changed out all 4 of ours on our trip up to Alaska. Got 2 at NAPA in Steam Boat Springs in Colorado then two more when we arrived in Tok Alaska again at NAPA, however they only stocked the plastic ones up here for whatever reason. Like Tom said, easy work to change them on over, just a bit messy!

Jesse + Sara White
2001 Newell Coach 582
2018 Silverado toad
Wasilla Alaska

Oh my. Leaking at all at once seems a bit unusual to me.

Were the fluid levels recently checked or topped off. It is way too easy to overfill them, and you get a mess like you have.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard, I had filled them, but I’ll check levels when I’m up at the coach again and it sounds like replacements are in order for 3 of them.

I’m assuming you swap out entire thing and not just the filler cap? Watched a video earlier and it looked like a pretty simple process.

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO

A ha. The intuition is to overfill them. The fill line is hard to see and much lower than expected. Get a turkey baster and remove the excess oil until you reach the fill line. You may not have to replace them.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

No need to replace the complete hub, HUBCAP SEAL STEMCO PART #359-5990.  Amazon has them in a 5 pack.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

My bad Richard, was typing on my phone earlier...meant to say "hadn't filled them".

Thanks Steve, I'll try those.

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO

Mine are leaking a little in the front also - will the linked hub seal cap fit my coach? Mine has a rubber o-ring looking gasket around it… or should I just get the whole hub and change it while I’m at it? https://www.amazon.com/STEMCO-343-4009-R...R5ZL&psc=1

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40