You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

How low will a coach drop to fit in storage

glad that turned out good.  i had 15' high doors put in my shop just to be totally sure i would have no issues.  i also have a slight slope up to the entrance as well. 

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Manuel,

I did not realize that you had crashed the top of the coach. Ouch…that hurts!

I have seen Newells with cameras pointed straight down above the windshield. (I guess to see if someone is walking in front of coach)…anyway…In my experience Newell has the ability and creativity to accomplish most anything. As long as you will pay…they will try.

So you might ask them to add a “top cam”. Although it will be really hard to judge distances / clearances, it may give you piece of mind that you actually have enough clearance to creep slowly into a tight spot.

For what its worth.

Cheers,
Bill
Ps. That is one pretty coach!

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

This might be of interest: https://giraffeg4.com

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Luckily I can report that I did not crash the top into the door. 
I have not been so lucky as to drive the coach yet.
It would have happend if I did not watch a Newell video of Andrew Steele and heard from one of the sales guys at Newell ( Brian Pitts) reiterating that the new P50’s are 13 ft 2 inches.
So the next day I went to measure the door opening myself and discovered they made a mistake that the door is not high enough.
The damage spot on the side of the coach was accidentally caused the day before I flew down by the rv dealership who sold us our coach. They replace the air seal of one of the slides and I assume a forklift arm hit it. 

The yellow plastic and duct tape you see is on the back of the coach. There are two square rectangles on both sides and one supposedly blew away and the plastic was taped over the hole. The Dealership could not explain how it blew off or why? I was wondering if this is something that sometimes do happen.
My other thought is, was  the back maybe backed into a too low space - but I got on a 12 ft ladder and saw no sign of damage or scratches. The Dealership ordered new squares from Newell and Newell had to paint them black and was shipped down to the dealership in Humble last week. So still need to see a picture of the replacement fitting. 

Tom I have to compliment you on that massive building you have. That is now a absolutely great garage and place to store and work on a coach.

I saw it is beautifully drywalled and trimmed out. Reading about the phenomenal heat you guys in AZ have to handle, it makes absolute sense to have it nicely insulated and finished out like that! Trust it is air  conditioning too.

Hope to one day swing by and meet you and see how Arizonans enjoy life down there.?

Insulating the metal building will be the next project.

Manuel and Kathy
2018 - P50 - Newell - #1624
CUMMINS ISX 600
2021- Jeep Wrangler -Sahara Unlimited

Forest that link you gave sounds for sure like a good idea.
When we just got our Fuzion fifth wheel we once somewhere in middle Montana on Highway 2 had to go under a “looked much too low train bridge” and I just could see in my minds eye how it removes airconditioners. Clearly recall the stress and no where to go or if we will fit (saw the sign and had room but was scary) Thanks for the app you pointed outl!

Manuel and Kathy
CUMMINS ISX 600

Be sure to check out 11' 8" bridge on youtube. Or 11foot8.com

@NCNewellfan, a few points. I just spent 2 weeks at Newell 1/24 thru 2/5.

At Miami OK, Newell has a covered area where they park there coaches for showing new customers. This carport has a sign marked 13' 3". I didn't measure it but I'm assuming its correct, also there was a new coach parked under it.

While at Miami, they repaired a slide seal on my coach. No forklift was needed. it was all done from inside and the coach controls were manipulated by Newell to allow access.

The airfoil probably didn't blow off in my humble opinion.

I will second your thoughts on Tom's Garage. It's the ultimate shop and Man Cave. That's my coach on the far left in Tom's picture.

11foot8.com gives me nightmares. I have watched it many times

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

Dave - I watched that video and agree it is a nightmare replay over and over
It is for sure one of the worst scenarios that a coach owner can experience. Lets pray for wisdom and a special warning to not get caught in such a situation. That giraffe tool and app sounds for sure like the way to go.

The funny thing about the airfoil is I saw no obvious damage on the foil. I agree one wonders did the driver maybe reverse in under a tree and it maybe pressed it out…

When I go pick it up It should be replaced and will get up and inspect again…

On the height did I have it right at 13’2” or did it look like there were more than just one inch between the coach and the carport roof.

In an earlier post in this thread I posted a picture of an instrument panel inside the coach and it shows a bus with the height displayed as 13’5”. So if that is the true hight of my coach - it would not fit in under that carport ( bus port) at Newell’s factory.

I include a screen shot enlarged

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Manuel and Kathy
CUMMINS ISX 600

Dave great coach - how high is that model of yours?
I have been wondering what owners do in parks where there are low tree limbs - I am considering to buy a 14 ft pole saw and take it with - hate to think what scratches foliage and low hanging limbs might leave.

Tom I take note of your suggestion to maybe get such a height camera - especially after watching that 11ft8inch video?.

Manuel and Kathy
CUMMINS ISX 600

The problem with any height detection device is that you have to be going slow enough to stop before hitting the obstruction. With the radar unit on the hood or roof, that means you'll know the height at essentially the time of impact. The camera may give you a little prior warning, but is it enough? How slow do you want to drive?

06 M450LXi 3 slide