You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

1st Model Year for DEF

what is the first model yeah Newell installed DEF?

Rick Rhoads
Interested in Newell
Clayton, CA

Typically engines built after January 1, 2010 had DEF. However, Newell buys engines in large batches so I have seen coaches as late as #1451, a 2012, listed as being No DEF engines but do not have personal confirmation on that being the case. #1421, a 2011, was listed as being a No DEF engine. The floor/elevation plan for #1462, a 2013 specifically lists a 15 gal Urea tank.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Michael, any clue on how California is treating the coaches manufactured after January 1, 2010 that don't have DEF? I've heard stories about semis in California, and how we won't be able to use our generators there eventually.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

As far as I know, it is the build date of the engine rather than the age of vehicle it is placed in that the federal requirement is based on. According to this document for California, they again for heavy over the road vehicles are basing their requirements on the build date of the engine. https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/...regsum.pdf

However, California is pressing ahead with their engine replacement requirement that would require 2010 engines in nearly all trucks and buses by 1/1/2023. https://www.freightwaves.com/news/califo...to-a-close

California is not very RV friendly and that is getting worse with time.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Thanks everyone for the info. 

Seeing I will be looking for an older Newell, and given all the drama with DEaF, do think I’m best served to focus on pre-DEF coaches, or does Newell do a better job of designing the DEF system into the coach?

Lastly, I can’t see where California can do anything against out-of-state coaches, only in-state coaches by which they can control it via vehicle registration, but perhaps I’m wrong…

Quote:Lastly, I can’t see where California can do anything against out-of-state coaches, only in-state coaches by which they can control it via vehicle registration, but perhaps I’m wrong…

Among other things, CA Senate Bill 210 states:
“This bill would require the state board, upon the implementation of the Heavy-Duty Vehicle Inspection and Maintenance Program, to provide mechanisms for out-of-state owners of heavy-duty vehicles to establish and verify compliance prior to entering the state.”
So, the CA legislature believes it has the power to prohibit non-compliant out-of-state vehicles from operating in CA, and CARB is formulating the program with those legislative mandates in mind. And, yeah, motorhomes are explicitly included in the definition of what is a “Heavy Duty Vehicle”.

CARB is in the final stages of writing and reviewing regs to implement the program. Only in the last draft (Aug 3, 2021) did they add the following:
“This chapter does not apply to:

Motor homes, as defined in this chapter, registered outside of California and never used for commercial purposes,
…”

Bottom line, out-of-state motorhomes are safe for now, but are viewed as being fair game for regulation should CARB deem it necessary in order to protect the citizens of CA.

Jim

Wow, thanks for this reply. It’s great to see motorhomes are exempted (for now), and I would think the commercial trucking lobby will challenge this legally. Pretty soon California might as well erect a border wall around the state, as they seem destined to become an island.