You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Copper washer hack

During the generator project I stumbled into a neat hack for copper sealing washers. They must be annealed if you are going to reuse them. Annealing is simple. Heat to dull red with a propane torch and dump into water. Softens them up so they seal.

I had struggled with getting the banjo bolts on the diesel engine to seal in the past, worrying that inwould over torques and break the bolt. 

No leaks this time and without excessive tightening

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks for the tip! I used to shmear (Like cream cheese on a bagel) (Heck I could go for one of those right about now) a bit of black RTV to help seal. Not very pretty unless I wasn't feeling lazy and would actually wipe up the excess...

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

OK, I have to ask, where are copper sealing washers used on the generator?

Doug and Cathy Musick
Coach 370
1994, 45', non-slide
DD60, Allison 741

Doug,

They are used in five places that I had to disconnect and reconnect. At the bottom of the injector hole to seal the injector tip to the block, at the return fuel line connection of the injector itself, on the connection of the return line to the injector pump, on the fuel line into the injector pump, and on the oil supply line to the turbo.

https://www.amazon.com/Hose-Banjo-Fittin...jo+Fitting This is the idea, these are not parts for the generator, just a picture of a banjo bolt, and the washers used to seal it.

These are common on hydraulic systems and automotive brake systems.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks Richard, that helped a lot. Once a saw the pic I immediately was aware of one on my generator fuel supply line because is has a small drip that I wipe up occasionally. Now I know what to do to solve it I believe.

Doug and Cathy Musick
Coach 370
1994, 45', non-slide
DD60, Allison 741