You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Hidden oasis under the steps?

So while pulling up the old carpet, I found this metal cover that is siliconed onto the step. Anyone see this before or what it's for? I don't want to cut the silicone to find out whatever is under it has some kind of release valve which will lead to the detonation of this bus...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

That's another of the locations for a safe.

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

my 90 had the safe in the same spot. if you lift the steps up and look inside the storage area, you can see the safe. mine had a round key and i had a locksmith come and it took him about a minute to open it and there was nothing in it.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

the carpet on the top had a small removable piece over the safe. it had been walked on so much it blended in and you couldnt see it

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

That's cool, thanks guys! I was wondering what the hinge on the step was for. I couldn't pull it up. I'll go investigate it again.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Hi Simon, it is a safe. #300 has one in the same location. I have never opened mine (no key) but i think Tom had a lock smith open his.

Tony and Cindy Frazier
1992, #300   Wink
2023 Ford Broncos Bad lands Toad
Columbia, SC

I have the same safe, albeit in another location. According to various build plans. newels could have any number of safes in varied locations. Mine has a hole for a lock, but no lock and no mechanism.

Anyone know what the mechanism looks like (or a substitute?)

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

I found the key and opened it. Nothing more than dirt and sand unfortunately. Was hoping for some forgotten cash or even a letter contacting the first owner. The hinged part of the step is welded down. Anything behind it worthwhile? Looks like the raising and lowering of the step would interfere with putting planks on the sides. Strange place to put a safe but I guess its easy to put it near where you go in and out. Doubtful I will use it myself. Perhaps a time capsule?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

My step lifts at that hinge and is carpeted storage. I keep the built in vacuum cleaner hose and attachments in there. Yes, it is a pain to have it openable with anything other than carpet. Originally, from the hinge the step below all lifted together with the riser. It does look like someone may have spot welded the step below. There is a large storage area unit there. Mine does not have those extra metal strips on the edge of the steps so it was easy to clear the carpet or other flooring material on the sides when opening. The biggest issue with the useable opening step is covering the hinge when it is closed an yet allowing it to open up about 120 degrees.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Thanks Michael. I was debating on that. I did see the extra metal flat strips welded in and where the riser would lift up. I want to put down Coin rubber flooring on the steps themselves with vinyl planks on the sides. Hiding the hinge would be the issue.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312