You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Gray plastic pipes

Can I cut these and use standard crimp on Pex fittings?  I am redoing the bathroom vanity faucet which uses a smaller pipe thread than the 1/2” female connector that’s currently crimped on the gray lines. I really don’t want to put adapters if I don’t have to.

Thanks all!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Simon,
The gray pipe is polybutylene. During 80s & 90s time frame we used it on four different houses we built. Three of them we used Quest compression fittings and the fourth we used crimped copper fittings. Not sure about a PEX fitting be it an "A" or "B" working with polybutylene. The safest bet is to use Shark Bite transition fittings.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Home Depot or Lowes usually carries these fittings, this is what I use.

Johnny
Former   1987 Newell series 60
Former 1986 Newell -92-
Wichita,Ks

Thank you guys! I did a little research on it. I am aware of poly but didn't think this was the same but alas, I have poly. It is still all flexible so far. Bought a 10 pack of the couplings so I can swap out at least the fittings for the interior faucets.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

as was said, sharkbite will work with polyb

and easy to use.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I know they will Tom. I feel more comfortable with some form of mechanical connection holding the thing together. My brother plumbed his house with all shark bite fittings. When I saw his handiwork, I nearly pissed my pants laughing. It looked like a 5 year old put together a plumbing erector set in his basement. He then paid a company to finish it in steel studs and drywall concealing all his handiwork. Million dollar house with a ticking time bomb. Shark bites have their place (Push on type) but for me, I prefer something more permanent looking! Having said all that, yes I would absolutely trust them when you need to fix something in a pinch and then leave it be. Maybe I am mentally OCD?? Well, my wife thinks so.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

i have had a number of them in my coach for nearly ten years. and i have them on the water softener in my house and shop.

i guess time will tell

i agree, i would not put them in the walls of my house. mainly because they are too expensive. i used weispro expansion pex fittings in my shop.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH